Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need legacy bios, only have UEFI abailable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Mage

The Mage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hello everyone.

My issue is that I purchased a nice expensive video card for my last computer.  An nvidia Quattro 4000.  My computer had some issue, so I simply bought a new one.  (Was planning on building one, with my bro-in-law's help, but decided to just get one.)  It was an ASUS essentio, i7, with windows 8 64-bit.

I checked it out to make sure there weren't any issues, then moved a power supply, and hard drive to my new system.  But I also tried to move the video card.  It didn't work, so I took it out, and through research, and phone calls, found out that my video card will not work with UEFI bios.  I found that other ASUS systems have a legacy option, but when I get into the bios, it is not there.

I even contacted ASUS, and assume I contacted the wrong person.  I felt like I was chewed out for opening my system, and after a few emails back and forth was informed there wasn't a legacy bios, and they weren't going to help me.

I was supremely annoyed about all of this, when I have ASUS on my facebook, and I keep receiving videos about all these upgrades, and mod systems from them.  (Sorry, ranting.)

Anyway, does anyone know how to get a legacy bios for my system, or where it may be hiding?  I really would prefer to use this video card, especially since it cost more then the computer I "upgraded" to.

Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and a look at the ASUS spec for your computer shows that the Win 8 and Win 7 varieties use different chipsets so it isn't just a simple matter of looking for a set of Win 7 drivers for your BIOS / UEFI. However, i did find this thread on BC, which while a bit long and rambling if you stick in - ie towards the end of it - there are a couple of suggestions which may give you some help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473915/windows-8-installed-laptop-wont-boot-off-windows-7-disk/?hl=uefi

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I've had of this nasty before... here's a fix

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp

It's not quite what your trying to do, but the uefi disable is in there....

edit: yes, ASUS are weak service. I don't buy their machines anymore.

edit edit: I don't know how well win 8 will work in legacy bios, I have to say I am completely ignorant of this (windows 8 that is) and it may pay to do some investigation and research before hacking it.

edit edit edit: damn you Microsoft! moved the bloody goal posts again!

Edited by TsVk!, 08 September 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#4 The Mage

The Mage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

Should have posted earlier.  Followed the pcmag article, and was amazed that it was a roundabout way to get to the bios that I could have simply booted up, and hit f2.  Problem is, I have already been all over this, and there is no legacy bios link.

The only thing I could find in the link to the other thread here was another link that took me through the same things as the pcmag article.  Other then that I can't figure out how it could help.

But the statement that I need a windows 7 bios installed, that is kind of what I was asking.  How do I get a legacy bios installed if this computer doesn't have it, which as far as I know it doesn't?

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

I'll ask a friend of mine who has done a few retro-grades... apparently you cannot change the bios to legacy in the bios boot screen he says, but only in Windows. (or make it available to be changed on boot, or something equally as stupid) I won't see him again till Monday to ask him more specific details though.

Maybe someone else can fill this blank meanwhile?

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

There is a way to disable UEFI as well, but doing so will render the Windows 8 system unbootable, as there is no MBR on the disk(s) (UEFI uses/requires GPT). If you're going to be doing this I would advise to switch to Windows 7, and then try the legacy option.

Edited by chrisd87, 13 September 2013 - 08:35 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

The BIOS is in the motherboard, so getting a different motherboard will fix this issue, if you want to go that route...

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

The BIOS is in the motherboard, so getting a different motherboard will fix this issue, if you want to go that route...

No...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users