Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow startup, Rootkit?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SamanthaLaurene

SamanthaLaurene

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

I recently (and stupidly) tried to use an online alarm. I think I may have given my laptop in a bug in the process. Now it's slow to load, some programs won't launch at all, and after about 15 minutes everything stops responding and I have to force shut down. I tried to run a Mcafee scan, but it gets stuck searching a file called 'Rootkit.' I searched that name and was not exactly happy with the results. Any suggestions?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 September 2013 - 11:51 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected? to explore the possibility of malware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

"Rootkit" is a spyware, and it may threaten your computer. It will be taken advantage by virus or trojan. So, be careful with that.

#3 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

• #4 computerrepair94

computerrepair94

• Members
    • 41 posts
    •  
    • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

If you can get on your desktop, thats good.

first get rid of Mcafee, thats makes it slow to start with and change to Avast.

Now get hitman pro, malwarebytes and TDSKILLER , my advice is to run all 3 in safe mode.

#5 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
    • 352 posts
    •  
    • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

If you can get on your desktop, thats good.

first get rid of Mcafee, thats makes it slow to start with and change to Avast.

Now get hitman pro, malwarebytes and TDSKILLER , my advice is to run all 3 in safe mode.

Can you explain why to run these tools in Safe Mode? Safe Mode is good only when you are unable to access Normal mode. Some tools are more powerfull when run in Normal mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users