Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 daiboot

daiboot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

Sudden deterioration in IE performance. IE takes an age to open when asked and then when a website page is selected, something like 35 seconds elapses before IE starts to show a response. Then another long delay before the page appears. Everthing else in Windows apart from IE appears Ok and running normally including Outlook Express.

Running a full system check with Norton SystemWorks finds no problem with the Registry BUT it does show 10 missing Programme files involving Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727. Could this be a clue to my problem? Incidentally, what is Microsoft.NET\Framework?

My PC shares a wireless network with a laptop and the latter is accessing the web with no problem at all, so the fault does not appear to be related to my router.

I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and no problems found. Similarly Norton's Virus check has also proved negative.

Please, can anyone tell me what is causing this problem. Will I have to find someone to re-install XP for me before IE will work properly again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

For a slow computer, start looking HERE.

The .net framework is important to software developers. More info HERE. But it is pretty deep unless you are a developer. You should have .net framework installed on your XP computer as well.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

Hello, Welcome to BC, With IE running slow I do have a few questions. What OS are you using? If it is Windows XP do you have Service Pack 2 installed? You say you are using Symantec Products; this is enough to slow down IE and other things also. I do not want to slam Norton but I do not trust it at all.

I would suggest uninstalling Norton and seeing if it helps, you can always reinstall if it does not help

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

Tools needed = * SymNRT.exe click on this in red and it will download.

Also I would suggest running HijackThis and putting in a post with the log file. It will take a while to get the results back and it will be worth it.

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hello,
I wouldn't remove Norton. I doubt this is the problem. My guess is that the problem has to do with the memory or Ram. What I need to know is how big your ram is, then I can help you more. I use Norton and it doesn't slow down the web.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

Hi Jesse, Take a look at this little search on Google about Norton. Oh one thing jsut because it might be running ok on your system does not mean it is on all systems.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...a8318b2e8513212

You will find that it is very mean and not necessaraly Lean

Oh daiboot I still say uninstall it jsut to try out and see if it solves the problem You can always re-install it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

If you are missing net framework Microsoft Update should be able to find it missing and enable you to download it:

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

Hi Jesse, Take a look at this little search on Google about Norton. Oh one thing jsut because it might be running ok on your system does not mean it is on all systems.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...a8318b2e8513212

You will find that it is very mean and not necessaraly Lean

Oh daiboot I still say uninstall it jsut to try out and see if it solves the problem You can always re-install it.

Thor,
Thanks for the link. However I still stand by my decesion on Norton. I have tried every Antivirus software out there and Norton is the easiset to navigate for me.
Peace.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

Well the member should be able to reinstall it if there is no improvement over all so that is not a problem here.

#9 daiboot

daiboot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:34 PM

Thank you all so much for taking the trouble to respond. Let me provide a couple of answers to the questions you raised and then give you some more food for thought.

My OS is XP Professional with Service Pack 2.
RAM = 1GB

The PC appears to be functioning perfectly normally with the exception of IE. Time from clicking on the IE icon to my homepage appearing = 25secs! Time from requesting a site page to it appearing = 30 secs!
However, when it appears it instantly fills the screen, none of the slow screen fill one gets sometimes with dial up. So IE is working in the sense that it dumps the requested web page on my monitor in one go, but it seems to take an age to locate the information. It is the very same as if it is having to seek some tortuous route in order to get the information rather than going there directly. Sorry if I am labouring the point but this is not a slow computer but a slow IE (every other software programme is behaving normally including Outlook Express).

I take ThorXP's point regarding Norton although in its defence I have used it for over three years without any problem. However, I am suspicious that it may be the cause of me failing in my attempts to set up file sharing between my PC and my son's laptop. I struggled most of last Sunday to set up an access control list and assign permissions, all without a glimmer of success (but that's for another posting!) On the other hand, might I have done something on Sunday to screw up IE, when I was attempting this project?

Uninstalling Norton is something I will have to try UNLESS my comments above prompt another possible solution.

Thanks again all of you.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

You aren't using AOL are you?

http://techrepublic.com.com/2100-1009_11-6...html?tag=search

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

When you used "suddenly" to describe the change to how IE is working in your first post above, does that deterioration coincide with your attempts to set up file sharing?
Do you have another browser available, Firefox or Opera for example, to use to benchmark IE's slowness?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 daiboot

daiboot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

No not AOL! Pipex

#13 daiboot

daiboot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

I am not sure jgweed. I don't think so. Although Sunday proved a frustrating day it wasn' t until Monday morning when I accessed IE that I noticed problems with it. I have a recollection that it was OK initially but became problematic later.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

Try downloading Firefox and see if it has the same connectivity problems. (You may find as many of us do that you prefer it to IE anyway).

http://www.mozilla.com/

If you know the day IE began to become problematic use Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a date that precedes the problem.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

or

start>run
type in "msconfig" without the quotation marks and click "OK".

Click "Launch System Restore".

Even if that cures your problem with IE (which is probable), download and try Firefox anyway.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 April 2006 - 02:36 PM.

#15 daiboot

daiboot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

I have taken Enthusiast's advice and downloaded Firefox. Fantastic!! What do you experts think this proves?

Would it be safe for me to stay with Firefox and forget all about IE? After all the frustration of the last 24 hours or so, I wouldn't care if I never saw IE again! But is this a sensible attitude to take or should I still try to identify the cause of my IE problem?

I am certainly tempted to remove Norton. A few hours ago I tried to use Norton's Web Clean up but got this warning notice:-"Internet Explorer is currently loaded. Quick Clean may not be able to completely clean your internet Cache or Internet History. Please close all open browsers before continuing." And this despite the fact that IE was not open. Is there a clue here I wonder to the problem I have been having?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users