Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4 RAM Slots ; 32Gb Max 16Gb needed ; 2x8 or 4x4?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hello users!

I have a small dilemma here, i have a dell precision m4600 laptop and I am at a fork in the road so to speak.

According to Dell this win7 64-bit laptop MOBO has a maximum of 32Gb Ram. I am upgrading from the stock 2x4Gb modules to 16Gb, should I be choosing 4x4 to fill all slots (i've read in the past that this is the fastest way to populate ram) or choose 2x8Gb modules so that I am already "half way upgraded" when I decided to upgrade to 32Gb in the more distant future?

Any insight is greatly appreciated, and if anyone can answer the question whether filling all slots with a smaller amount of memory is better than filling half the slots with greater capacity memory would be great I have a feeling this "method" is old hat though, considering mobo's have come a long ways since I read this in the A+ manual a decade ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Id go 4x4. You plan on using more than 16G?

Edited by bory504, 05 September 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Whenever you have the choice and the funds, 2X8gig is the way to go regardless if you plan to add more memory in the future..

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Whenever you have the choice and the funds, 2X8gig is the way to go regardless if you plan to add more memory in the future..

Why would you go 2x8 instead of 4x4? I see different people say different things. I have 4x4gb sticks and mine runs fine.

Sincerely, Blake.

#5 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Well back in the day it used to be suggested that filling all slots was superior to filling only half with equal amount of memory. That may be old hat by todays standards which is sorta the reason for this thread but then again some rules always apply which is why i wanted to reach out to the community and see what others were doing.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

I would go 2 x 8 as well. I didn't with my current system, but hind sight being 20/20 I should have-it gives you the ability to further upgrade your computer in the future. Realistically, 2 x 8 and 4 x 4 are going to perform the same. If theres any performance increase from filling all the slots it will be so minimal you aren't likely to notice, while down the road if you need more umf and can't afford a new computer another 16 gigs of ram may do the trick-and if you only use 2 x 8 you wont be stuck with 2 extra ram sticks for one, and 2 you will get more ram, because in order to max out your system in the future with a 4 x 4 setup you will have to replace all 4 sticks-while with a 2 x 8 setup you will only have to add 2.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Less sticks=less potential problems.  

Also, we are dealing with a laptop where the "Less sticks=less potential problems" really applies.  With laptops/notebooks there is usually no voltage adjustments or tweaks.  If I am running 4 sticks in a desktop, and my 4 sticks are causing problems, I can change timings or voltage to get everything stable.

Also, everything the_patriot11 posted above.  If you only have 2 RAM channels, then 4 sticks ain't going to help you.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Less sticks=less potential problems.  

Also, we are dealing with a laptop where the "Less sticks=less potential problems" really applies.  With laptops/notebooks there is usually no voltage adjustments or tweaks.  If I am running 4 sticks in a desktop, and my 4 sticks are causing problems, I can change timings or voltage to get everything stable.

Also, everything the_patriot11 posted above.  If you only have 2 RAM channels, then 4 sticks ain't going to help you.

Wow i totally missed the part where he said it was a laptop.... Derp...

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users