Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i reclaim space on my c drive? now shows 9GB out of 281GB

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 NORMARAM

NORMARAM

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Attached File  2013 09-05 hard drive configuration for help.JPG   39.53KB   15 downloadsI am new to this group.

I have been noticing that my C drive is slowing dwindling (9.33GB free of 281GB. It is partitioned (came that way) with 281GB allocated to C drive and then the following is partitioned: D: for Data with 84.1GB free of 298 GB., E: for Recovery with 2.72 GB free of 16.7 GB; F: is designated HP_Tools with 95.3 MB free of 99.3 MB. I have one external hard drive (H:) with 526 GB free of 930GB.

Last time this happened the space in C; was so bad that Outlook2007 was acting weird and FileCenter (Lucion product) would not preview. So I decided to "repair" Microsoft Office 2007 by sticking the disc in the drive and letting it do its thing.

I also tried to remove program that I don't use but Corel is stubborn and won't uninstall its Video and Photo programs.

Does the significance of installing Windows Media Center to acccess TV and recording have exacerbated my hard drive space, even though I configured all recordings  being placed in the external drive (H:)

Attached File  2013 09-05 hard drive configuration for help.JPG   39.53KB   15 downloads

Can anyone provide me with recommendations on how to reclaim hard drive real estate?

Thanks in advance, NORMARAM 9-05-2013 1629hrs.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2013 - 06:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Download, install and run CCleaner.

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

!!!! Make a backup first to an external storage device if you can !!!!

If you have music, pictures, video, or documents that you do not use regularly move them to an external hard drive (I do not recommend using the partitions on your system as they may be used for other functions on your system, like the recovery partition being used to factory reset your computer).  Keep files that you access on a regular basis.

After you have moved files to the external hard drive, disconnect that drive and plug it into another system to verify that the files transferred properly.  Then on the original system delete the files you had just copied to the external hard drive.

Additionally try uninstalling all programs you do not use.  Toolbars dont take much space, but everything counts.  If you have MS Office and open office for example, you can remove open office as MS office does the same thing (and costs more). Essentially eliminate anything that you can do without.

I do recommend using CCleaner as recommended by SpywareDoc. This program can get rid of a lot of the excess on your system and even help with removing programs that have a problem during the uninstall.

restart your computer and you should see a drastic difference, assuming that you do not use 200GB of files regularly.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, backup first and then use CCleaner. Also, you can try to drag your hard drive. That will also be helpful.

#5 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Also, you can try to drag your hard drive. That will also be helpful.

Please don't "drag" it.

A "defrag" can help, (as long it's not a SSD [solid-state drive]).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Ccleaner has a registry cleaner, this should not be used.

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

I failed to point that out in my former post. Thank you.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

I failed to point that out in my former post. Thank you.

Not a problem, we are both just trying to help. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 NORMARAM

NORMARAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks to all of you for your invaluable input. Here is what is happening this morning:

!I was able to reclaim about 158 GB after running ADWCleaner, CCleaner and repairing Outlook 2007 by slipping the Office 2007 disc in the drive. 

No problems for a couple of days but last Saturday, I again am faced with 0 MB on the C:drive. Because of this, I am not able to uninstall any programs, or perform the Mr FixIt tool to run the pst folders since my mail folders in my Favorites seem to disappear or migrate elsewhere.nAnd Personal Folders will not open at all.

Over the weekend I re-read your suggestions to back up the C:drive if possible and I attempted to do that by right-clicking the drive in windows explorer, Properties, Tools Tab, and it was not successful. I am now trying again but changing the destination to my external harddrive. i also tried to drag and drop the c:drive from my computer to my Pogoplug cloud but toward the end of 2011 folders of 2055 folders, it seemed stuck and even though i kept the "transfer" overnight, I stopped it when it seemed useless. the folder on the cloud which was designated as the destination said it was empty.

I am totally at a lost now because CCLeaner  is only finding a miniscule amount of files to purge.  Could I have a trojan or worm? I ran Security Essentials but nothing to kill there.

NormaRam 12:25pm 9-16-2013

My attempt to backup the C:drive failed due to no space.

Edited by NORMARAM, 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#10 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Dupe the drive to a 1TB and then expand the C: partition.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Try using the Disk cleanup tool to delete old restore points, and reset the size of the restore space.  System restore points can take up a lot of hdd space.

You can find a good tutorial for this here.

Once you have enough swap space on the hdd it would be worth running a scan with your antivirus and Malwarebytes to make sure you aren't infected.

You should also run Temporary file cleaner and use the Disk cleanup tool which is included in the tutorial I provided the link to.  You should also defrag your hdd as suggested previously.

Edited by dc3, 16 September 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#12 NORMARAM

NORMARAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Dupe the drive to a 1TB and then expand the C: partition.

Thanks SpywareDoc:

How do I dupe the c:drive? I am sorry I am quite a novice in troubleshooting this deep in the bowels of my computer :killcomp: 

#13 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

One way is with a hard drive duplicator like the one I linked to with the word "Dupe".

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I have to admit that sure is a goofy set of partitions you got there. If it was mine I would clean up C drive make a clone to an external USB drive, then partition/format that drive to 50/50 or 30/70. It's good to have a backup for like viruses and such, but if you had a sudden HD failure and it was inoperable that backup solution is pointless since it resides on the same drive. It's best to have a external backup on a separate drive or a set of dvd's. Best to have both as hardware fails, and it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN the drive will die.

#15 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ccleaner has a registry cleaner, this should not be used. ..

Interesting. I'll read more about that later. I agree with your main points of some registry cleaners are worse/better than others, registry backups are important, and registry cleaners are overrated but I admit I still use a registry cleaner. I didn't know a registry cleaner could complicate malware disinfection but seems possible now that I think about it. I'll learn more about this later.

.. Can anyone provide me with recommendations on how to reclaim hard drive real estate?

If you don't like having your computer use hibernation (most people do like this but some people prefer to just power on and off their computer) then you can disable it and delete the hiberfil.sys file. Often it is a large file. It is usually 75% to 100% of the size of your computer's RAM which may be 2-4 GB in your case. However, if you disable hibernation then your computer won't go in to its best power saving mode when you're not using the computer. Also, if you tried this then those few extra GB's would be filled up in a day or two since something seems to be filling your hard drive and we still don't know what.

Looks like E: and F: were made by HP at the factory. Did you make the D: partition yourself? I'm wondering if there's a reason you made the separate D: parition. If I were you I think I'd try backing up the data on D:, deleting D:, and then adding the new free space back in to C:, and restoring the data that was backed up from D: to C:. I'm assuming what is saved on D: can be moved and you don't have something like programs installed on D:.

.. I was able to reclaim about 158 GB after running ADWCleaner, CCleaner and repairing Outlook 2007 by slipping the Office 2007 disc in the drive.  No problems for a couple of days but last Saturday, I again am faced with 0 MB on the C:drive. ..

That's strange. I'd try using a program like TreeSize Free Portable to try finding what files are using so much space on C:. After the files are found then figure out what program or part of Windows they belong to and then I think you'll know what's been filling your hard drive. However, maybe you'll have trouble running TreeSize Free Portable in Windows if Windows is booted from a full hard drive.

Edited by Windont, 18 September 2013 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users