Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down automatically while playing video or music online/offline or

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AIpha

AIpha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

WinXP SP3, Google Chrome 29.0.1547.66 m, AMD Sempron LE-1200 Sparta, 2.11Ghz, 960MB RAM
I tried to uninstall, reinstall Adobe flash player, chrome but to no avail. I think it's an overheating issue but I don't know how to read the figures from CPUID Hardware Monitor & Core Temp (Screenshot http://i44.tinypic.com/291nq0i.jpg ). I've disabled "Hardware Acceleration" on Chrome and Flash Player. Fans are running but I couldn't find any software to read the temperature of Hard drive or Processor as the ones available doesn't support the above processor. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with this as the restart happens every 5-20mins (sometimes even during a reboot). I couldn't find any google chrome crash report although it's enabled. I also tried to disable (and uninstall) manually installed adobe player & use inbuilt adobe player in Chrome to isolate the issue but it doesn't work at all. I have installed HijackThis but I don't know how to read or use the log files. Please Help!!!

Just installed Speccy and got the following results :

Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Sempron LE-1200
Sparta 65nm Technology
RAM
1.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 301MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61PME-S2 (Socket M2) 47 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1024x768@60Hz)
64MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives
149GB Seagate ST3160318AS (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by AIpha, 05 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

When you say shut down, you mean as if it loses power or it goes through the shutdown process?

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 AIpha

AIpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

When you say shut down, you mean as if it loses power or it goes through the shutdown process?

It loses power but NUM Lock stays on on the keyboard. When I restart it, I can reopen the webpages on Chrome. It's a desktop.

#4 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Based on the specs it seems like a relatively old computer. What kind of maintenance have you done to it before? If any?

Sincerely, Blake.

#5 AIpha

AIpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Based on the specs it seems like a relatively old computer. What kind of maintenance have you done to it before? If any?

I bought this junk 6 months ago to do day-to-day work after I lost my notebook. I'll get rid of it soon though. I formatted it 2 months ago and it worked well but for the past 1 month, I'm experiencing this issue. I use ccleaner on it everyday before I shut it down. Can you suggest anything? Btw, I've thoroughly scanned it using AVG Internet Security. It's clean.

Edited by AIpha, 05 September 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

well for it to lose power like that, its definately hardware related. No software will cause a computer to completely shut off like that. Here are a couple things I recommend:

- Remove the side of the case and see how dusty it is. If dusty, get a compressed air can and dust it out.

- Reseat the RAM.

- Check for blown capacitors on the motherboard which look like this. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/SelectTronix/2011-09-13_180709_capacitors.jpg

Even if they are buldging out a little, the capacitor is still considered blown. If there are any blown capacitors, whole motherboard is pretty much bad.

Oh, and it could also probably be a bad power supply.

Edited by bory504, 05 September 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users