Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Computer On Virus/spyware Scan, Then Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlakeyD

BlakeyD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hello, my first post to this forum! I hope someone can help me.

For the past couple months my computer has been crashing randomly. When it is about to crash it will beep a few times, giving me warning, and then crash. Once I restart the computer, the beeping continues a couple minutes after windows has completely loaded.

The beeping is constant, and each beep sequence is 2 seconds in length. This may be a little silly, but if you sound it out like this if may give you an idea of what the beeping sounds like, and what the length of beep stands for.

Dee (Second 1), Doo (Second 2), Dee (Second 1), Doo (Second 2) etc...

The computer will also crash almost every time a virus scan is done or spyware removal. I successfully used Ad-Aware, but Spy-bot will crash the system every time.

This problem first started happening after I used a dos based game a couple months ago. I think it may be some corrupted files in windows, or a virus, but I have no idea how to identify the problem.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

BlakeyD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

The beeps may indicate a hardware issue. Please tell us the make and model of your computer so we can look up the beep codes.

When it is about to crash it will beep a few times, giving me warning, and then crash.

What is this warning? Next time it happens write it down word for word and post it here.

Have you added any hardware to this computer that might relate to the timeline of this issue?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 BlakeyD

BlakeyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Thank you for your reply! I will try and answer all your questions.

The beeps may indicate a hardware issue. Please tell us the make and model of your computer so we can look up the beep codes.

On the computer case it says: Hi-Grade
This information is from System in Control Panel: MicroLink PC (UK) Intel® Pentium® 4 3.2 Ghz, 512 RAM
This was under Computer in Device Manager: ACPI Multiprocesor PC
I also used Belarc Advisor and came up with this information:

System Model
higraded 10224658 [MODEL] Optional line
System Serial Number: Optional line
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board
Board: 865A01
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/08/2004

What is this warning? Next time it happens write it down word for word and post it here.

I should have explained this better. The warning is a set of long beeps like I described before, usually 1 or 2 and then it crashes. If you restart right away the beeping will continue until a couple of minutes after windows has loaded. If you leave the computer off for about 20 minutes or so, it doesn't beep when you startup.

Have you added any hardware to this computer that might relate to the timeline of this issue?

Nothing new has been added. It started happening after I installed and was playing Warcraft II.

If you need anything else let me know.

Thank you

BlakeyD

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for those good answers! Now I think we can get somewhere!

What you are describing is a heat related problem. Please be sure your computer is clean of all dust and air is free to move in out and around the box. Follow the instructions found HERE.

Please have a look at THIS page. Scroll down to the Phoenix beep codes. Which code best describes what you are hearing?

If it turns out to be a RAM issue and there are two pieces of RAM in your computer you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any.

If you care to test the memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 April 2006 - 07:16 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users