Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is OS or HD tied uniquely to motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 walter37

walter37

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

The specific computer is a Toshiba Satellite L505D-G6000, which seems to have sustained damage to the mobo from a nearby lightning strike - networking and ports failing, in particular.  I can obtain a replacement mobo - same model, etc - and I have done enough building and upgrading to think I can replace the mobo.  My question is: Is the OS or the HD tied to this specific mobo so that if I replace this mobo with another - even the same model, etc - the new setup will not function normally.  I encountered this problem once with a mobo I bought from an independent vendor but was able to contact the mfr (not Toshiba) for the routine and the codes to "prep the board."  Am I likely to encounter a similar issue here?  If so, is there a workaround?  Ordinarily, I'd return the notebook for service but it is out of warranty and the quoted price is about 4 times the cost of the motherboard.  Thanks to all for your attention.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Whenever there is a problem, I simply follow the instructions on the Windows activation screen. Takes about five minutes.

#3 walter37

walter37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

My experience was that if the software is tied to a specific motherboard then (having replaced the board with a new one) you never get beyond the first step in the boot process.  Thus, there is no Windows loading yet.  And this version of Windows will have been "customized" by the manufacturer in ways one might not be able to anticipate.  Maybe we are not talking about quite the same situation.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

Must be. I've replaced many a motherboard on systems running XP and every single one was able to be re-activated. The ones that didn't automatically re-activate popped up an activation window with a phone number to call and a code to read in to Microsoft's automated voice system. Type in the code they read back and that's it, it's re-activated.

#5 mikeroq

mikeroq

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Since you are replacing the motherboard with the exact same model, you should have no issue after installation. Even if Windows says it needs to be reactivated if the online doesn't work the phone activation will. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users