Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can hitman pro stop the FBI/Homeland Security virus before it runs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thatguy38301

thatguy38301

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I work as an IT Tech, and I am seeing more and more FBI/Homeland Security viruses on client PCs. To my knowledge, those viruses work as a trojan horse, seeming like a harmless image file, but hidden is the virus. Once that file is opened, it starts the virus.

My question is, if Hitman Pro is installed prior to any attack from these viruses, will it stop it before it activates and locks the PC?

I am really on the search for a viable solution to this problem, so clients will not even know the virus has hit them. Currently, we are doing as needed removal. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

HitmanPro is considered a second opinion malware scanner by the developer and is able to remove what is detected after obtaining a 30 day license.

HitmanPro offers you a Free Scan for a second opinion. It is designed to check if your security measures work. If nothing is found (and we sincerely hope so), then you will never need a license. When a virus is found, then you will receive a free 30-day license to remove the threat.

HitmanPro

HitmanPro.Kickstart is an alternative to a typical Rescue CD for removing Ransomeware. It is designed to start from a USB flash drive so it does not need to be installed on your hard drive. You do not need to logon to Windows. HitmanPro.Kickstart will start automatically after a few seconds on the logon screen when Windows wants you to enter the logon information.

HitmanPro 3.7 with Kickstart
How to Create HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive
HitmanPro.Kickstart User Manual
HitmanPro.Kickstart FAQs
BC Ransoneware Removal Guide using HitmanPro to create a HitmanPro kickstart USB drive
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 thatguy38301

thatguy38301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

All of the things you just mentioned, I already know. But thanks for reposting them. Now that that is out of the way.........

My question was..... "Can Hitman Pro be used to prevent the FBI/Homeland Security  viruses from activating? Can it also uninstall these viruses, in the same way MSE or Avast can detect and quarantine viruses?"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

I have not had to use the program. Their website does not say anything about prevention.

The BC Ransoneware Removal Guide link I provided gives step by step instructions for using HitmanPro to create a HitmanPro kickstart USB drive in order to remove the randsomeware.

We also have other removal guides like this one: Homeland Security Ransomware Removal Guide

It is an alternative to a typical Rescue CD and designed to start from a USB flash so it works differently than a typical anti-virus program.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

@ thatguy38301 -
I am not aware of a specific program that will 100% prevent the infection from hitting you.
Most hits (infections) seem unrelated, and I do not think any company will claim to fully prevent it.

There are computers with paid top-line Antivirus and Antimalware programs still asking for help.
Along side these are "almost non protected" computers that have not been troubled yet

The removal of the infection is now quite within the range of D.I.Y., but that has been the limit.

You may be protected with decent Antivirus and Antimalware programs, so they are just the ones we do not see.
All companies have put a decent effort into prevention, but we are not (at this time) able to list them for sure.

You may be able to ask at Hitman SurfRight , but I think their reply will be the same -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 05 September 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#6 thatguy38301

thatguy38301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

@ thatguy38301 -
I am not aware of a specific program that will 100% prevent the infection from hitting you.
Most hits (infections) seem unrelated, and I do not think any company will claim to fully prevent it.

There are computers with paid top-line Antivirus and Antimalware programs still asking for help.
Along side these are "almost non protected" computers that have not been troubled yet

The removal of the infection is now quite within the range of D.I.Y., but that has been the limit.

You may be protected with decent Antivirus and Antimalware programs, so they are just the ones we do not see.
All companies have put a decent effort into prevention, but we are not (at this time) able to list them for sure.

You may be able to ask at Hitman SurfRight , but I think their reply will be the same -

Thanks -

Thanks  noknojon for answering me, and giving me an answer related to my thread. Yes, I thought it was a pipe dream, but the owner of the company asked why we were getting so many anti-virus tickets. My thoughts were the same as yours, but I had to ask. It's a major issue, at least from what I have experienced at work.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Ransomware is typically spread through a computer worm that enters through a network vulnerability, by opening a malicious email attachment or when clicking a malicious link in an email message, an instant message or on a social networking site. However, ransomware can even be installed when visitlng a malicious website. Educating users to make them aware of this will also help with prevention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users