Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio E series Laptop cannot go to desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Model SVE151G11L. I do not want to delete the contents on the HDD so reloading the OS will only be a last resort. When i power on first screen shows:

Automatic Repair

Automatic repair couldn't repair your pc

I then choose Advanced Options which shows 4 options:

Continue- Exit and continue to windows 8

Use a Device- Use a USB device, network connection or windows Recovery DVD

Troubleshoot- Refresh or reset your pc, or use advanced tools

Turn off your pc

Anything I can do here to get back to windows without losing any files please? I don't wish to use the Troubleshooting option if it will erase any files on the HDD?

Edited by mystic12, 05 September 2013 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

You should be able to "refresh" your pc without losing your files. Im not sure about programs, but personal files you shouldnt lose. This should  work, I have done it myself and the Microsoft website also says it will not remove personal files when you choose this option. But I will say do it at your own risk. If it works, back up your personal information onto an external media for safe keeping incase something like this happens again.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

nope

#5 Baxter22

Baxter22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

The Sony vaio has a hidden partition which can be accessed by using the "assist" button next to the power button. With the laptop turned off, press the assist button until it turns on. You can save your files and restore the OS from there.

Just did this on a brand new Sony Vaio from Best Buy. There were only ten hours of use on the unit when windows 8 decided to be corrupt. The only fix was to reload the OS. Best buy wanted to charge for OS disc and a reinstall, estimated repair total was $180.00. The unit was less than a week old, great service warranty and customer care.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info, last night I got it to do a system restore. Not understanding why you would opt for Best Buy's offer to purchase a dsic when you can run the recovery using the Assist button?

#7 Baxter22

Baxter22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info, last night I got it to do a system restore. Not understanding why you would opt for Best Buy's offer to purchase a dsic when you can run the recovery using the Assist button?

I didn't. I repair computers. The client went to best buy first. They didn't like what they said and called me. Best buy just wants your money for nothing is my point. They don't care that Sony has an assist button. Glad you're up and running!

#8 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

The Sony vaio has a hidden partition which can be accessed by using the "assist" button next to the power button. With the laptop turned off, press the assist button until it turns on. You can save your files and restore the OS from there.

Just did this on a brand new Sony Vaio from Best Buy. There were only ten hours of use on the unit when windows 8 decided to be corrupt. The only fix was to reload the OS. Best buy wanted to charge for OS disc and a reinstall, estimated repair total was $180.00. The unit was less than a week old, great service warranty and customer care.

Thats sad, if it was less than a week old I would have done something to help the customer out... software related or not... I mean, if were a virus thats a different situation because obviously computers dont have any infections out the box, but a defect is a defect. It doesnt take much to restore a Windows 8 machine. Hate other Best Buys that dont have any courtesy.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users