Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome keeps crashing!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 theloneavenger

theloneavenger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Dell Inspiron 1764, Windows 7 Home Premium

------

Hi all, was wondering if you could kindly help me out here.

About a month ago, I was using Google Chrome until it suddenly refused to load properly. Now, if I try to open it, it takes about five minutes to get to the point where it says 'not responding', and it never gets to the stage where I can even load a page.

Before this, I didn't really have any problems with Chrome. Am now using IE7 without huge problems but it's pretty clunky for me, and I would massively prefer Chrome.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi theloneavenger,

This can happen due to a malware or corrupted files in Chrome. I suggest you to run a security scan using the Internet Security or Antivirus software on the computer for possible infection. You can also try re-installing Google Chrome and check if works properly.

Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 theloneavenger

theloneavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for your reply - I forgot to add...

- I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no luck

- Have tried using several different scanners for malware (AVG, malwarebytes, Norton) and they all came back clean

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hi theloneavenger,

Thank you for the update. Please follow the steps below, that may fix this issue:

1. Press the "Windows" + "R" keys to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type the text without quotes:" %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\X.X.XXX.XX\Installer\setup.exe" --rename-chrome-exe ".
3. Replace X.X.XXX.XX with the version of Google Chrome installed.

Let me know the status.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#5 theloneavenger

theloneavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi Rajath, many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I tried inputting the data into Run as follows:

-----

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\29.0.1547.66\Installer\setup.exe" --rename-chrome-exe

-----

And only comes up with a dialog box saying "Windows cannot find C:\Users\theloneavenger\Local'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again."

Do I need to do it differently?

Many thanks once again for your time and help

#6 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi theloneavenger,

Thank you for the update and you have done the step properly. I suggest you to download and install the latest version of Google Chrome. Please provide a screen shot of any error message received, if the issue persists.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#7 theloneavenger

theloneavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi, thanks again for your reply...I ended up doing a full uninstall (via CCleaner) and reinstalled Google Chrome, and thankfully it's now working. :)

Previously i had uninstalled via control panel, but clearly that wasn't enough for some reason! I deleted the whole google folder, then reinstalled.

hope others try same in future.

thanks for your help, Rajath!

#8 JohnSmith420

JohnSmith420

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

Well, your Google Chrome data files are corrupt. Delete all app data files so that Chrome will re-create them again the next time you open it.

1. Press Windows Key + R, or click Start All Programs | Accessories Run. Type AppData in the textbox. Click OK or press ENTER.

2. Open following folder:

C:\Users\{Enter User Name Here}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

3. Delete all files in the Default folder.

More diagnostic information here.

#9 Arachnidia

Arachnidia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

JohnSmith420, you are a genius.  Thank you for a quick and easy solution to a frustrating problem.  You rock!   :bananas:  :bounce:

Edited by Arachnidia, 19 December 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#10 net4tech

net4tech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Google Chrome keeps crashing - Fix this Error

Extending Flash Player for Google Chrome that blocks while surfing a site that has flash content. Really irritating problem that prevents you see flash content online. You can set break Chrome flash using the following techniques :

chrome-crash.png

1 . Re - install Flash Player
2 . Entity not run with Chrome Sandbox
3 . Claim your graphics drivers and network upgrade for your PC
5 . Clear the cache
6 . Repair Registry Entries Chrome

Re - install Flash Player

If you is faced with the question of Chrome crashing due to corruption of Flash uninstall and reinstall . Use the official uninstaller utility to uninstall Flash full of components.

Entity not run with Chrome Sandbox

If your Google Chrome keeps crashing when viewing Flash content , try running Chrome without sandbox feature, follow these steps to run Chrome without Sandbox feature.

1. Click Start
2. Go to All Programs
3. All Programs , click Google Chrome and select Properties
4. Make a small change in the Target text box , add - no sandbox next to the target location exists.
5. Click the Apply button and press OK .

Network Upgrade and graphics drivers

If your graphics drivers are not updated , can be a cause Chrome to crash. We recommend installing the latest graphics drivers for the network and the operation of Google Chrome. You can download the latest drivers for your device to the manufacturer's website .

Clear the cache

Google Chrome always on guard I viewed pages in its cache. Corrupt file in the cache can be a cause Chrome to crash. Clear the cache and then use Google Chrome. You can clear the cache using a good scanner system / registration .

Repair Registry Entries Chrome

Windows Registry is a place where all log entries are stored , Chrome crashes due to obsolete registry entries . This problem can be solved by scanning the entire Windows registry with a good registry cleaner and PC optimizer and find all these errors that create obstacles in Chrome running smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users