Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanishing System Restore points.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blixx

Blixx

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

I've had my Sony Vaio laptop for 2 years: Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1. 64 bit. Intel Core i5.
Recently I discovered that my System Restore points are disappearing.

They create with no problem.
And I tested a restore and it restored me with no problem.
But daily I will check System Restore and I have the Red X telling me that I have no SR points.

I've done:
About 8 different anti-virus/rootkit/boot time scans, and they've turned up nothing.
Did scannow and ckdsk with fix/repairs and they've turned up nothing.
Turned off Sys.Restore, rebooted, turned back on, rebooted, no change.
Deleted all SR points, completed new ones, no problem.

I ran Windows diagnostic on my Memory and Hard Drive, no problems.

So I kept checking SR after everytime I'd do something or use a program.

It now appears that when I am running a lot of streaming videos at the same time my Memory goes up to as high as about 91%, and sometimes (fairly often) Adobe Flashplayer crashes.
But even if it doesn't, it is then that I lose my SR points.

I just uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled Adobe Flash for IE and Firefox.

I've been planning to double my memory anyway from 4 GB to 8GB.
Hopefully that will solve the problem.
But I've had the computer for almost 2 years, and this is a new problem, and I've always streamed a lot of video simultaneously (not all the time but once in awhile) and had Adobe Flash crashes.
But never affecting the SR's.

So I'm not sure if the Memory upgrade will do it, as it's a new problem.

Trying to avoid reformatting Windows to a Sony factory restore.

Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to say.

You say that you create them and that you tested (at least one).

If they disappear...how can that be?

Are you saying that you have restore points...but something indicates that there are none?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

First, open up the root of your C: drive, tap ALT, select tools\folder options. Select the View tab, Select show hidden files, folers, and drives.  Open up the file called System Volume Information.

If you can see any files with a long string of characters in this folder than your system restore points are not being deleted, but the connection to them from your OS might be being redirected.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 Blixx

Blixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to say.

You say that you create them and that you tested (at least one).

If they disappear...how can that be?

Are you saying that you have restore points...but something indicates that there are none?

Louis

I'm saying that I create System Restore points successfully, and at a later time when I open System Restore it tells me that I have no System Restore points.

Not every time I open System Restore , sometimes.

"If they disappear...how can that be?"

You're asking me the question I asked in this post.

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have spent the time writing the OP and asking the same question which you are now asking me.

"...how can that be?"

This is hardly unique - google "System Restore points disappear" to find hundreds of threads about this tiopic in help forums.

Edited by Blixx, 05 September 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#5 Blixx

Blixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

First, open up the root of your C: drive, tap ALT, select tools\folder options. Select the View tab, Select show hidden files, folers, and drives.  Open up the file called System Volume Information.

If you can see any files with a long string of characters in this folder than your system restore points are not being deleted, but the connection to them from your OS might be being redirected.

I will try this the next time they disappear, but I doubt this is the cause. As I note in my post above, there are many threads about this in help forums  going back years and up to the present time.

Also, it's not just that I can't see them. When I open System Restore, there is a red X, and it says "You have no System Restore points".

So it's not just me not being able to see them - System Restore also doesn't see them and is not aware of their existence either.

But will try it next time they disappear.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

As I explained in my OP, I believe they are disappearing due to heavy usage of my RAM and/or tied into problems with Adobe Flashplayer (which problems are probably related to heavy RAM usage due to the Flash programs that are running).

I guess it's conceivable that there's a malicious script which tries to activate  when I'm using lots of RAM playing lots of Flash streams. If so, probably Scareware based, as Scareware tries to shut down use of System Restore.

But as mentioned I've run many scans and none of them found anything of this nature.

Edited by Blixx, 05 September 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#6 Blixx

Blixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

That's it?

No further  suggestions for solving this?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

If you think that malware is at the bottom of your situation...please advise and I will move topic to a proper forum.

I don't use SR...I make backups using 3d-party software so I can't tell you anything about SR.  But...it seems to me that, if there are so many documented episodes of SR being flaky...with no solution to such...then you are trying to find an answer that is unknown.

You have no other recognizeable system anomalies?  Nothing else ever goes wrong with your system?

Louis

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Maybe your virtual memory isn't set enough to make a restore point viable. Tap windows key and pause break key to get to the system center. Under Advanced system settings | Advanced tab | Performance settings button | Advanced tab. Set processor scheduling to programs, then under the "change" button select C drive and allow it to be "system managed" and hit the SET button click OK. Be aware though it is a red flag that viruses like to delete system restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users