Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Find Meaning Of Word

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

I'm reading this article and they use a word "demunging" of which I can't find the meaning. :thumbsup:

Example of sentence:

There have been reports of spammers demunging email addresses on occasions

Does one of our resident geniuses Know the meaning ....
Thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hi boopme.

I don't know the answer, but have a look here. http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

To munge your email address is to add words that a person would know to remove before using.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

From the word "munge"

munge - Wow! It's a derogatory term. We don't get many of those on here. When used in that sense it implies that you have provided information which you have intentionally altered from the original. Not Nice. The fact is, the word is most often tossed around by those in the know concerning e-mail and a contingent effort to get spammers off one's back. Let's say that your e-mail address is Venus@wayout.com and spammers jumped on that address like a five year old on a June bug. Worn out from hitting that "delete" key, in desperation you resort to that questionable practice known as "Munging". You alter your return address to read Venus.nospam@wayout.com, knowing deep in your heart that all your true friends are going to take a quick envious glance at your obvious alteration, and remove the "nospam" when they reply. Clever? You bet your bippy. Meanwhile those spammers out there are getting paid for what they do, and although I hate to admit it, they're good at it. They are masters of the art of "demunging," the removal of those sneaky little phrases you stuck in there to deceive them. Some of them even use special software to search for those extra phrases, automatically remove them from your address and, suddenly, you have been "demunged." It only hurts when you hit, "Delete."

Quoted from this link.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hey thanks,rowal5555 and KoanYorel, had no clue to it's meaning or vernacular. I was searching all around. I used mung as the root. I see now what they do. I'd like to demunge their deviant little typing digits. But at least now I can finish the article on spammers. btw the article is Here
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:17 AM

Check out the definition and origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

thanks dc3

#8 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hello,

Do a quick google search for FOLDOC plus whatever technical word you're looking for. Foldoc is the Free Online Dictionary Of Computing. It has lots of Robert Heinlein references, as well as lots of other science fiction writers, but is mostly coputer tech jargon.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info BanditFlyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users