Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop displaying white screen immediately upon turning on, won't start up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tripsoul

tripsoul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hey all,

So I am writing on behalf of my mother.  Her laptop (HP Pavillion dv4 circa 2009, running on Windows Vista) won't start up properly.  Upon pressing the power button, the screen goes immediately to white.  No mouse, no HP or Window welcome screen, nothing.  I've tried turning it off and back on (multiple times), Ctrl+Alt+Del, and pressing the F8, F10, and F11 buttons (the ones I read were most likely to take me to the safe start/reboot mode) upon start up, but to no avail.  This happened for the first time today, she came home from work and started her computer and it did this.  She thinks the last she used it for was Facebook and online banking, the night before.  I don't know what else to do as thoe are the only key combinations I could find, and her screen will not display anything but pure white.

Can anyone help me?  I will try to get more information if you need it, but as I can't get the computer to start, it may be somewhat limited. 

Thank you so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

There seem to be a large number of products using the tag "Pavilion DV-4".  More exact data for the model number might help.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=2#/qryterm=HP%20Pavillion%20dv4&searchtype=s-001

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Try connecting an external monitor to it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users