Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down, blue screen error

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 HippieBea

HippieBea

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm running Windows 7 and my pc recently began shutting down frequenlty on it's own. Before it shuts down, I have a blue screen with white lettering that has mentioned something about Memory, but it flashes so quickly I can't read the whole thing. I have gone through the steps for malware in the Virus Forum and they directed me here because despite a clean PC, I continue to have the shut down issue. Thank you in advance for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Do you see any dmp logs from the folder?  If yes, then read the instruction of the second paragraph below.If not, configure small memory dump debugging information under startup and recovery.

Configure memory dumps :
> Right-click My Computer and choose Properties.
> Go to Advanced System Settings - Advance Tab.
> Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings...
> Look for 'write debugging information' and use small memory dump
> Checkmark overwrite any existing file

If there are latest created minidumps under C:\Windows\Minidump folder, please post the latest dmp logs (atleast 5) by :

> Highlight (holding ctrl key) and choosing the dmp logs by hitting enter or left mouse click.
> Right-click and choose send to desktop.
> When on desktop, highlight all dmp logs and right-click and send to compressed zipped folder.
> Upload and share the link by registering here https://www.box.com/
* minidumps log sample 010613 - 16676 -01.dmp -> 01 is for month - 06 for day - 13 is for year.

Tekken

#3 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

I will have this done tonight and post results. Thank you!

#4 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Okay. This took a bit of work.  My computer is not booting up properly. It will shut down repeatedly. I couldn't even get it started in Safe Mode. The computer did an Auto fix twice, and now I can't connect to the internet. Says there is a hardware issue.  Restore didn't fix it either.  So I was able to get the logs you wanted, but I had to transfer them to a USB and use another computer to upload them to you.  I suspect, that if internet use on the problem PC is required, we will have an issue.  Here are the logs and I will wait for further instruction.

https://app.box.com/s/wkt850uk2ub84i6g3vuh

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

The uploaded minidumps does not contain any information as the file size is 1KB only. Looking onto the Malware topic thread BSODs refers to different error codes which means its a software installed, hardware, thermal events or driver problems. Write debugging should be configured to Small and or Kernel memory dumps (see post#2) on how to configure memory dumps.

To check on driver problems : How to enable and disable driver verifier in Windows 7. Note on after using or enabling driver verifier.

After a reboot, driver verifier should be enabled. Use your computer as you normally would, although expect frequent BSODs if there are driver issues. If the system doesn't crash after 24 hours, disable driver verifier.(see link on how to disable driver verifier)

Upload the latest crash dumps with the same steps as provided.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

*Applicable in Normal mode only.

Please post the PSU brand/wattage and # of RAMS stick installed.

Edited by jhayz, 07 September 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Tekken

#6 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I need to make sure I understand what you're asking.

1. Create mini dumps as instructed in the previous post and the upload them to you.
2. Check my drivers using the link provided.
3. Download the Specce program and Copy the report.

What is a PSU? Can I find this information by right clicking on "computer" and looking at the specifications?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

PSU = Power Supply Unit

When Driver Verifier enabled and then Blue Screen again,  the new minidumps would be created on the same location (C:\Windows\Minidumps : Check the dates). Upload the new logs. Make sure to Disable DV (see link instructions) after.

Tekken

#8 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I should be able to post tomorrow night. I'm in the middle of using the Driver Verifier. Just keeping you posted.

#9 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

RAM: 2.00GB. I can not find the PSU.  Do I need open my computer case?

DMP Files - I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but it appears these have the same amount of info as last time.

https://app.box.com/s/qt0pkt8mjuucby4admfe

SPECCY:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kyTKYTftqjUoEr2NC8Po618

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Do I need open my computer case?

Yes.

I couldn't even get it started in Safe Mode. The computer did an Auto fix twice, and now I can't connect to the internet. Says there is a hardware issue.

It may be a hard drive, RAM stick or PSU problem.

Please read again on how to zip minidumps. The latest dmp logs are not correctly followed. The bluescreen may also be due to softwares/drivers sp its important to extract the faulty application or driver.

If there are latest created minidumps under C:\Windows\Minidump folder, please post the latest dmp logs (atleast 5) by :

> Highlight (holding ctrl key) and choosing the dmp logs by hitting enter or left mouse click.
> Right-click and choose send to desktop.
> When on desktop, highlight all dmp logs (by holding ctrl key and pressing left mouse key) and right-click and send to compressed zipped folder.

Edited by jhayz, 09 September 2013 - 08:17 PM.

Tekken

#11 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

Just a note to let you know I will be working on this tonight. Hope to have what you need posted tonight.

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

You could also check Event Viewer logs under the System heading.

Here's a quick step to how to find that.

Hit START, and in the search bar type "Event Viewer". When the app appears at the top, click on it. You'll probably have a UAC popup, just click Continue. When the app screen comes up you will want to expand "Windows Logs" then select "System". This will give you a record of all computer activity. Try to find events from around the time your computer shut down. Any yellow triangle (Warning) or red Xs (Error) could be suspect.

#13 HippieBea

HippieBea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

jhayz - PSU says 300w and here is the link again for the mini dmp.  I'm following exactly what you are saying. But I noticed that when I hit the send to, it's send to "desktop (Shortcut)" then from the desktop it's send to "Compressed file (Shortcut)". That shortcut is being uploaded in the box.  I can't open the DMP files, says that my pc can't read them and BOX says it's not supported.  Here is the link - https://app.box.com/s/b4o3dh68dcvc295qfg8x

Now the suggestion that NetGhost posted is giving me information and there are yellow triangles and Red Error icons.  Let me know if you want me to try this. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Ok. Follow the BSOD posting instructions by jcgriff2. Then upload and share the link back here on your next reply.

Tekken

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

300 watts is not going to be enough to power that computer. did it come with Windows 7 originally or did you upgrade?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users