Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook hangs on startup due to SD card reader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

My netbook hangs on startup due to the SD card reader.

As soon as I remove the SD card from the reader, the system startup resumes fine

and loads windows xp.

When I put the SD card back in after windows as loaded, it doesn't detect the card or the drive.

In Device Manager, it shows as Mass Storage Device and it says the drivers are not installed.

But after about 3-4 minutes, it changes and says the device is working properly but it's still not showing

up in My Computer.

I've tried uninstalling the driver and letting it reinstall fresh on next bootup but that didn't resolve it.

Updating the driver didn't solve it either as it said could not find a better driver than what I already have.

Any other suggestions?

(SD card works fine as it works on my other computers, so it's the netbook's SD card slot).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Without knowing anything about your netbook, I would suggest going into your BIOS (usually press 'Delete' while the first screen showing the manufacturer's name is visible) and checking your boot priority. Ensure that whatever your netbbook uses as its hard drive - conventional hard drive or solid state drive - is set as the first item. It sounds like your computer is  trying to boot from the SD card when it is in place.

If this works, post back and let us know.  If it doesn't - post back and say so but add details such as make and model of your netbook !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the tip.  The bootup is set to hdd.  Actually, I kept popping out and popping in the sd card a few times and now it seems to be reading ok.  Weird.

I have a feeling it may be the sd card adapter.  I've usually had those adapters go bad for some reason.  I'm using a micro sd card fitted into an SD adapter and then put into my netbook's sd card reader.

My netbook is an asus 1000HE.  I've had it for over 3.5 years and it's been wonderful and very durable as I use it everyday and travel with it.   For now, it seems to be working again fine even though I didn't change anything other than popping it in and out several times until it connected.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

It could even have been dirty / contaminated contacts, and popping the card in and out a few times perhaps cleaned them.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried connecting your MicroSD card through a USB type card reader ?  If that works first time, every time, then it could just be the contacts in your SD card slot are getting worn.

Still, so long as it is working ...  'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, I did tried that.  I put it in a usb card reader, then plugged it into the netbook and it wasn't being picked up by the computer.  But then i took the microsd card out and used a different SD adapter card and put it back in the usb card reader and plugged it back in the netbook and it worked after the 2nd try.  1st try it wasn't getting detected but after that it did all the time.  So yeah, kind weird cuz the tests don't seem to be 100% conclusive, but it probably was either the sd adapter card (which I'm still using) or the actual card reader inthe netbook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users