Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete "0 bytes" files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pc blues

pc blues

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hello ,

I'd love some advice how to get rid of these "empty" files. Have tried  Fileassassin etc but it won't budge.

Done some research and it seems deleting with DOS should work but i'm not entirely sure of the correct way

of doing it.

All my scans come up clean, and from what i read these files seem harmless , but i'd prefer to be rid of them anyway.

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Had this a couple of times,probably Windows making a permision issue .

Usually if you boot into safe mode you can then delete these kind of locked files,

even if you cant move them any other way.

Hope that helps.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I've run into this a few times, usually when uninstalling games and the uninstaller has left some file remnants behind. What has always - I think - worked for me is just to delete the complete folder.

In your case, judging by your images, there is nothing in this folder but two empty files so you are not going to lose anything by deleting the folder. So, Windows Explorer - right click on the folder - click delete - folder gone !

If there were files you wanted to keep in the folder, I would just move them to a temporary folder, delete the folder with the remnant files and then re-create it before moving the other files back into it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

If you can't delete the folder in explorer, to delete from the command prompt...

1. move folder to C:\

2. open elevated command prompt (start button>accessories>rightclick command prompt>run as administrator)

3. type "rd c:\offendingfoldername" (make sure there's no spaces in the name)

done bun, can't be undone...

Edited by TsVk!, 11 September 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

A zero-byte file is a file that does not contain any data. Most files contain a number of bytes or megabytes of information which correspond to its size. A zero-byte file is essentially empty and contains no (zero) bytes. Zero-byte files are typically created when a file transfer does not complete successfully. This may happen when a file is downloaded via the Web or an FTP client, or when an e-mail attachment is not transmitted correctly. The result may be a file that has a name but no data. Since zero-byte files are usually corrupted and do not contain any data, they cannot be opened and in some cases can be difficult to delete. When attempting to do so, you might receive an error that says, "Cannot delete file", Cannot read from source file or disk" or a similar message. If this happens, you will need to use a program like DelinvFile, Unlocker or another file utility program to remove the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 AM