Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet and power outages

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flameshero

flameshero

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

About a month ago, I was using this computer when the power went out. When I later rebooted it, I found that only at a specific time of day (about 7-7:30 p.m) would the internet work. I cant use my security provider, its not working either. I cant stand not being able to use it when i want to use it, can anyone help me with whats wrong and how to fix it? As much detail as you can would be helpful, im not very good with computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

The first steps...anytime there is a connectivity problem:

a.  Contact your ISP to check if they are experiencing problems.

b.  Check to see if the router and/or modem are properly powered and working.  Power them down...then power them back up.

Louis

#3 flameshero

flameshero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

The modem and the ISP dont seem to be an issue. Guy uses the same internet I do with no issues whatsoever, and a laptop connected to said internet works fine. Any issue seems to be purely on that computer. And just to make sure, rebooting the modem yeilded no results im afraid :(.

Edited by flameshero, 04 September 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

If this is a desktop computer the operating system does a hard shutdown when the power goes out.  File of programs which were running at that time could have been damaged.  I would suggest running sfc /scannow.  This should be run before you run the MiniToolBox as this could skew the results.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 flameshero

flameshero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thank you very much! Ill try all that, and post what happens when i next get a chance to download and stuff.

#7 flameshero

flameshero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

@speecy, how do i list the log list users and programs do i just record every single one by typing it in?

Edited by flameshero, 08 September 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#8 flameshero

flameshero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

For the listing do i jsut manually type that all in?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

@speecy, how do i list the log list users and programs do i just record every single one by typing it in?

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps3c082bf1.png

Click on File, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click in the Reply to Topic box, then right click and then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users