Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 i82much

i82much

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hello:

I'm not sure if this is the right place  for this. I'm working on a HP Pavillion a1410n with Windows XP with all the service packs

It all started with the integrated graphics going out. I installed a new PCI graphics card.

When I went into BIOS to disable the onboard, I didn't see it there. I went to device manger to diable the onbard and the updated driver that I had just installed  prior to installing the card, but that was not there either.

The computer worked great, and since I was going to be busy for awhile, I ran an Avast virus scan.

I went to use the computer several days later and recieved this message saying windows couln't start because system32\drivers\NTFS.sys was missing.I tried the resore option that came with the computer, and recieved this "File HPT3XXNT.sys could not be found". I researched this problem on the internet and tried to copy the file from an original Windows cd that I had from another computer, but the computer wouldn't read the cd. I had also read that running "CHKDSK \P might help and it did....for a day. I even used it a couple of hours before this happened and all was fine

Now the computer is in and edless loop, going from the HP splash screen to the "Windows could not start normaly.... try safemode......I've tried them all and still the same thing. I tried the "computer recover" that came with the computer and got the BSOD.

I don't even know where to start  to try and fix this, so I'm here asking the experts for help.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

IMO...that's a pretty old system, which only means...just about anything could be going wrong with hardware components.

Or the CMOS battery.

When I see a number of error messages all pointing to hardware components...I think "replace the CMOS battery".  It is the cheapest, most overlooked component which ties all hardware elements together.  And it's cheap, easy to replace.  So that is where I would start.

Having done that...and reset the clock, date, time in the BIOS...and saved the changes...I would run the approriate hard drive diagnostic.  Depending on how that goes, I would move on.

FWIW:  Running chkdsk /p does absolutely nothing to change the system.  Running chkdsk /p results in a read-only operation.  To attempt to repair anything, you need to run the chkdsk /r command.

I would concern myself with the NTFS.sys error, etc. only when I had taken the steps I previously outlined.

Louis

#4 i82much

i82much
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hamluis

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I replaced the CMOS battery as suggested, and upon bootup the keyboard doesn't work so I'm thinking of repalcing the MOBO. I wish I could upgrade to a better computer but thats not in the cards right now.

When you were talking about the "chkdsk /r" that sounded familiar and I back checked what I had done.

I did do the /R and the "/P got stuk in my mind from another website.

So once agin for taking the time to help.

Mel

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well...I'd never jump to "replace the motherboard" because the keyboard doesn't work.  I'd replace the keyboard with another, as a test.  Borrow one, attach it properly, see if it works.

Does the system boot?  If so....

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 i82much

i82much
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

I forgot to add that I get a blac screen saying that the system fan is not working even though I can see and hear it working

#7 mtnchick

mtnchick

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Have you tried checking to see if there is an update to the BIOS?  Sometimes flashing the BIOS will solve issues that seem to be a MOBO.  You should be able to find BIOS updates on the HP site or the manufacturer of the MOBO.  

Also, if you are using an older machine that has a PS/2 connector for the keyboard and you have upgraded to a USB keyboard, it could be the USB port. KISS principle says find a keyboard you know works and try it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users