Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything but Microsoft softwares can access internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dergyll

Dergyll

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently (a few hour ago) swapped to Comcast cable because ATT was too unstable. My laptop and iphone connected to cable fine but my desktop is having issues. As soon as I connect it, the Steam and Skype instantly connects and starts their usual round of updating and stuff, but when I click IE it gives me a "page can't be displayed" error. Microsoft update gives me the "8024402C" windows could not search for new update error and when I tried to tweak firewall settings it gives me an error too! 0x80070424 windows firewall can't change your settings.

I tried a lot of things, including downloading all the "fix-it" packets, restarting services, doing the "ie-lan setting uncheck" fix, checking router settings, uninstalling all my antivirus/Microsoft security essentials (shouldn't be a problem, because my laptop has it and it can connect), etc etc. So its probably not Comcast's fault.

So yeah, it seems my Microsoft softwares and services are all frozen. I even tried the resets from here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

and doing a Microsoft integrity scanner in cmd (no error detected). System restore did not help either.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I think I'll just reinstall windows if I can't find a solution.

Derg

EDIT: ok I managed to get a copy of chrome to the desktop, that doesn't connect as well. Chrome uses the same connection settings as IE.

Hitman Pro can't access the internet either

EDIT: Please refer to my later post. It turns out, only Skype is connected, I got a response from my mom out of all people. So Steam is unable to access pages, but thinks its connected.

Edited by Dergyll, 04 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

This is only one idea, but you might want to try using this:

http://codeimprovements.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/solving-error-8024402c-for-windows-update/

If this works it does lead to a question, why has your system been configured to connect to a WSUS server?  Are you using a copy obtained from work? If this is the case then you might want t ocheck your corporate policy and see if this is allowed, then provided it does not break any laws reconfigure the OS for home use (IE: remove referenced to group policy updates and SCCM/WSUS pushes etc).  This would also explain your connection issues.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 Dergyll

Dergyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Hello Wing, thanks for your prompt reply

I did a fix and finally got the firewall up and running with http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad/windows-firewall-damaged-by-windows-7-antivirus-2012

which leads me to think that I probably had a virus on my computer (its clean now I think, I followed those steps, scanned everything with malwarebyte and security essentials) which disrupted my services.

For the link you provided, I followed the steps in reg but could not find the "windowsupdate" folder after "windows"! That can't be good...

Anyway I hope this is all linked somehow and will let my internet explorer work, I've been using a USB drive to transport stuff back and forth.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh okay, so now I just found out that Steam and Skype THINK they are connected but are in fact not. I just randomly tried a store link in steam and then tried to start a game, both failed. For Skype, I tried to contact one of my cronies, who ignored me (well, that could be because he hates me or something). Hm, my title is a bit misleading now. Skype is confirmed working, I got a response from someone. Its right now the only program able to connect.

Edited by Dergyll, 04 September 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#4 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

First off, I would uninstall chrome or firefox.  Although I prefer to use them, it can lead to problems when using IE and even other programs (recently learned how widespread it can be). Be sure to open IE and set it as the default internet browser first!

After you have uninstalled those, open IE and reset all settings to default. Restart IE, and to be safe lets just restart your whole computer.

Once your running again, TEMPORARILY disable your firewall (to rule that out as a possability)

Try your internet connection....

If that fails, configure your connection to be DHCP by setting a private class c static ip then resetting it back to DHCP.  While you are at it, disable IPv6 (this is not often used and occasionally causes problems). You can even try setting your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS). However without more information and seeing the system directly I would be guessing at this point. I will continue to look for an answer.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#5 Dergyll

Dergyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

With your help and the service-restorer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad/windows-firewall-damaged-by-windows-7-antivirus-2012

I am able to get my new internet online!! Thank you so much!

The previous virus really damaged my services, and a combination of that and firewall was probably the cause. If anyone else have this issue later, I would recommend using the tool provided in the link above (of course, first scan and remove viruses and such), restore your firewall then turn it off. Reset the router, make sure all internet options (your LAN settings, DNS settings) are properly placed (make it obtain IP and DNS automatically), then try connecting it again. If all works, you can probably enable the firewall again.

There, is there a way to give points? ;)

Thanks to all the resourceful people out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users