Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying data from RAW external HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snakenuts

snakenuts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi,

This is just a quick question regarding my RAW external HDD (i posted a question on James littens site but I think he's too busy to answer)

I'm in the middle of performing a partition recovery as per instructions on his website, using parted magic.
However, I need to do a "deeper search" and it's taking forever, I have around 45600 cylinders (2% complete after 2 hours). So I'm wondering, is there a way I can copy the files from the HDD onto another hard drive through a Linux or Ubuntu boot, or would this be useless when I put the New HDD into the computer (I.e., the same error which caused the HDD to become raw would "carry over")?

I think I might post another topic with more questions and more details of my situation, but for now I just want to ask this one because if the deep search takes continues at this rate I'll be without computer access for days!

Thanks in advance and will be happy to provide more info if needed for this.

Cheers,

Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snakenuts

snakenuts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Guess I should add a few details to this as well, just to clarify or help with future inquiries.

I'm using 3tb external hdd formatted to FAT32 on windows 7 (I think this is why my hdd went RAW - I've heard max disk space on fat32 is 2tb).
I'm running parted magic on a USB boot.

I'm planning on getting a Mac and getting an external hdd, formatted to HFS+, so I'm wondering if, in response to my question above is positive, should I do the copying on the Mac, or in the PC? (I've heard it's difficult to boot a Mac from USB like you can do on windows)

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users