Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Disk Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michelle Bowman

Michelle Bowman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Firstly, please accept my apologies if this has already been answered previously. I have searched high & low for a fix to my problem and have come unstuck - hence this plea to anybody and everybody who can help.

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010, approx 2 -3 years old. It recently popped up with the message "SMART FAILURE PREDICTED ON HARD DISK 0" along with the various attached messages of goodwill. After backing everything up, I promptly replaced my Seagate HDD with a replacement brand new Seagate ..... only to be offered the same message upon restarting the laptop.

I have a Windows 7 disk in place to reload the operating system and changed the boot sequence to CD before I replaced the hard drive, but my laptop will not go past the F1 message with my new HDD. If I take it out and put  the old hard drive back in, I can hit F1 and boot to Windows but then I get the error messages warning me to back up and replace my drive, although everything seems to be running very nicely apart from that.

I rely on my laptop considerably and really want to fix this. What am i missing to install the new drive? Why might this message be lingering?

Please help!!!

Kindest regards and thanks in anticipation ....... :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hi Michelle Bowman,

It can be annoying when you receive the error message repeatedly. I suggest you to update the BIOS to the latest version by booting the laptop from the old hard drive. You can download the BIOS file from the following link:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17-n7010?driverId=R301250&osCode=W764&fileId=2731118610&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

Replace the hard drive after the update and check if it is detected in the BIOS. Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 Michelle Bowman

Michelle Bowman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Rajath. I will do this after work tonight and let you know. Thank you so much for helping. :)

#4 Michelle Bowman

Michelle Bowman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well ..... I'm still kind of stuck. I updated the Bios and it gave me a blue screen of death - unfortunately, I have forgotten the driver error message it gave me. When I rebooted and attempted to redo the Bios, my laptop told me I already the latest version. So that was good. But when I reboot either with the original HDD or the new one, I still receive the smart failure F1 message. In addition, with the new HDD in place, and the Windows 7 disk running, I cannot install the operating system as I am being asked for drivers which I cannot provide. I inserted the drivers and utilities disk provided with my laptop but the system tells me it cannot find the drivers it needs.So what do I do now....???

#5 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi Michelle Bowman,

Thank you for the update and request you to provide picture of the screen with the error, so that I can check it and let you know the options to fix it.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#6 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

With the new HDD and OS cd in the ODD, as soon as you turn the computer on start pressing F12 to see if you can get to your boot options before it comes up with that SMART error. Im not sure why a brand new HDD would be giving you that same error. In most cases whenever a machine says "SMART failure" before booting into Windows, its not lieing about a bad HDD. So Id definately find a way to restore it with the new HDD since you backed everything up anyway. Unless you bought a defective HDD, which can definately be a possibility.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users