Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can you catch a bug by having multiple tabs open?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

My question is the subject line.
Unfortunately, I have lost my reference on this matter. Some time ago I saw an article in Discover Magazine by a guy who is assigned the task of protecting the entire WWW. It was an interesting read, but the topic that most caught my attention was he said to never do anything personally critical, meaning specifically on line banking, while having multiple tabs open.
Why? If you have Avast, Comodo, etc running.
And if this is true, how do you stop an intrusion like this? I ask because I usually have 4 tabs open at all times, my wife however has 15 to 25 tabs open at once. She's a crochet maniac and switches crochet patterns like guys switch radio (tv) stations, lol.

A second question would be; how safe is it to watch youtube videos? I watch a few, mostly music related, but my wife watches all sorts of yt vids, and her son is off the shelf watching anything yt (youtube)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

The person is probably lying,cause no harm is done by using multiple tabs -- If it was a bug,it's patched by the browser vendors a long,long time ago

Answer for second question : 100% safe,no harm is done by videos,especially,those hosted by huge companies like Google

#3 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

You have to look at it logically, everything that you connect to using the internet could potentially harm your computer and compromise your private data.  It is a constant battle between those developing security and those who seek to exploit vulnerabilities.  Make sure that when making any purchases online that the vendor complies with verisign which is the biggest website in the world.  This is used to encrypt your data, personally I am very wary of entering my details unless I have confirmed that the website is safe and genuine.  The best thing to do is try and keep everything as secure as possible, keep you antivirus up to date.  Do not install anything your not 100% sure about and run malware.virus scans regularly

With youtube you are simply accessing data on servers so this is not dangerous.     

Also multiple tabs makes no difference to security what so ever.  

#4 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

You have to look at it logically, everything that you connect to using the internet could potentially harm your computer and compromise your private data.  It is a constant battle between those developing security and those who seek to exploit vulnerabilities.  Make sure that when making any purchases online that the vendor complies with verisign which is the biggest website in the world.  This is used to encrypt your data, personally I am very wary of entering my details unless I have confirmed that the website is safe and genuine.  The best thing to do is try and keep everything as secure as possible, keep you antivirus up to date.  Do not install anything your not 100% sure about and run malware.virus scans regularly

A multi-layered security config is more secure to me than a traditional antivirus if you're gonna be THIS (referring to OP) paranoid.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Users visiting MySpace, YouTube, and Facebook...are exposed to innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Make sure that when making any purchases online that the vendor complies with verisign which is the biggest

There is an alternative to using your bank card or credit card.

When I purchase ANYTHING online the first thing I do find out the total cost which often includes shipping and tax.

I then go to my credit union and for $1.00 get a pre-paid Visa gift card in an amount rounded up to the increment of $5.00

Example, if something will cost $22. 58 I get a card for $25.00

In order to use the card to make online purchases I then register the card online.

Then I use it as credit to make my purchase. If the card number falls into the wrong hands it cannot be fraudulently used.

With the amount left over I usually use it as a split payment when I put gas in my car. This will zero the card.

If you cannot get one from your bank, they can be purchased at a lot of stores in preset amounts but they will cost more than a dollar.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good tip...I will have to give that a try myself.

#8 steven

steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, and for the record, I'm not paranoid, but I am highly suspicious and distrustful of anything internet related because of all the bad stuff out there.
I'm relieved to know that I can keep my tabs open.
LazyP, the link isn't working, but I've followed you on another topic, so I know what it contained. Which, matter of factly went mostly over my head.
As always, Quietman is an invaluable resource. Thanks for the info.
Cparky, welcome to the site. I think you'll like it here a lot. I wasn't aware that Verisign was the largest site. Weren't they hacked a while back, or was it something I read about hacked licenses? Hmn. I don't remember.

Great tip Queen Evie, I like it very much.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

steven I always say security begins with personal responsibility so that's not being paranoid...that's being smart.

#10 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

A multi-layered security config is more secure to me than a traditional antivirus if you're gonna be THIS (referring to OP) paranoid.

I agree but that is not always possible, yes having independent firewalls with an explicit deny all to right rules on is oing to be more secure.  But practically speaking this is only deployed in a commercial environment.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users