Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downgrade help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikehinkle

mikehinkle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 14z N411z, running windows 7 home premium. I want to dual boot with xp but I can't find any drivers for my computer anywhere. Please, I literally hate windows 7 and would much rather be able to dual boot into xp. i have to windows 7 versions on seperate partitions now, i'm running 7 premium on one partition and 7 ultimate on another. intel core i3, 6gb ram, 650gb hd and the integrated intel 3000 hd graphics. \

Really hoping i can get drivers for it and just partion a empty space and install xp onto it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

picbleeding.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

They are phasing out XP mate... So, no more support for it.

Such is life.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

It's a Dell system.  If Dell doesn't support drivers for XP...you are on your own.

Not every system was made to run XP, Win 9x or any other O/S that existed prior to system manufacturer.

Louis

#4 mikehinkle

mikehinkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

eh, i was assuming that was the issue. i just figured maybe another pc ran the same hardware and i had some drivers out there somewhere. i'm not going to say i hate windows 7 but it just does not run as smoothly as xp.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

It actually runs just as well (better even), but it's not as easy to tweak as they changed the names and locations of many things and added a whole bunch of 'features' which are a proverbial pain in the ass.

A solution for you though is to run XP as a virtual machine. 7 can run your hardware and you can use XP inside that. Your machine is more than powerful enough to get the best out of XP doing it this way.

It will also give you an extra layer of system protection against malware and the like.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

FWIW:  I  dual-boot XP and Win 7.  IMO, Win 7 is undoubtedly the "better" operating system, so any arguments that XP is "better"...really translates as "I've grown used to using XP over the time that I've used it".  The same argument was undoubtedly raised by many users of Win 95, Win 98, Windows 2000...when those operating systems had been replaced by newer versions of Windows.  The assertion is totally invalid and reflects typical human resistance to the fact that change is a constant in life.  Not all changes are improvements...but Win 7 is an improvement over XP.

Louis

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Linux is undoubtedly a better OS than Windows also... But that's best not said in company though.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

:offtopic:

If you are not sure of Windows 7 then do not even look at a Win 8 -

Windows 7 is the nearest thing you will get to a XP system, and I have used all (most) makes and most models from when a Tape Drive was considered normal, and a Home Computer was not normal -

:devil: XP is simply "Not Supported" for company patches and security patches, and Antivirus / Antimalware companies will no longer have support for the O/S. But they will work untill they (computers) all just break down and all Pirated XP CDs are done for also.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Totally...

I have 40 machines to either replace or upgrade to Win 7 before XP is no longer supported at all, early next year.

Xp is so 2002...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users