Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU Dell inspiron 1525

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whitestingray81

whitestingray81

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm really starting to get into computers in my free time. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and RAM maxed out at 4GB. I also added a bluetooth card (not that that matters).

The stock CPU is an Intel Celeron 2.0GHz, M 550 (at least that's what the program CPUID tells me). Can anyone recommend an upgraded CPU? I've read from another guy trying to do the same thing, that the most up-to-date processor this computer will take is an Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz. Any thoughts? Looks like I can get a used one for under $20, which is appealing. I do not game, and this laptop is really just a spare. Any other recommendations? Is upgrading the CPU .4GHz even worth it? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Upgrading the CPU is usually not worth it in laptops, especially for such a minor increase in speed.  You may be better of saving the money and buying/building a new PC if you are wanting more performance-wise.

3939.png

#3 whitestingray81

whitestingray81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the input!

#4 synergy513

synergy513