Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trackpad / Mouse Button Problems

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ratneer

Ratneer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

First of all, let me start out by saying that I am not an idiot, especially when it comes to computers. I am working on my degree in Computer Science at the University of Michigan, so I've tried everything I know how to fix this problem and it has me pulling my hair out.

Here is a list of the problems I am having:
1. Whenever I left-click on my desktop, whether it be in an open space, or on an icon, it registers it as a right-click. It also does the same when using the start menu. It seems to do this under any Windows Explorer based window. Other than on the desktop, it does this randomly.
2. Randomly, the taskbar becomes unclickable.
3. I have completely lost my ability to right click anywhere on my computer.
4. Although this never happened at first, it now seems that whenever I have a window open and I go to interact with it, it automatically changes the focus of the screen back to the desktop, but still leaves the window open, making it impossible to do almost anything. The only way I have found to get around this is by using my keyboard to navigate around, which all works just fine. I am currently using Safe Mode, which seems to fix this problem, and this problem alone.
5. While use Google Chrome, I have lost the ability to right-click completely, and I have lost the ability to click on the tabs to change them (I must use CTRL+TAB to navgate through tabs. Neither using my trackpad or my left mouse key works.) ALthough I can still click the X to close the page and the New Tab button works just fine. I cannot click on the address bar at all to change the web address, although I can hit F6 to select it and then change it. I also cannot access the "Other Bookmarks" menu or the options menu at all. The back, forward, and refresh buttons all work like they should. When using Internet Explorer, none of these problems exist.
6. At random times, the right click menu pops up.
7. I cannot use my trackpad to select things, I must use the left mouse button to drag to select.
8. I can no longer use the very right edge of my trackpad to scroll anywhere on my computer. In the trackpad setting where you can set the zones on the pad for this, it recognizes that it is being touched, but does not work at all.

I have tried everything I know to attempt to fix this. I have checked every setting known to man that has to do with my trackpad, and none of it has changed. I have tried a system restore, and I have run multiple virus scans, all with no luck.

I am on a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7.

I am just hoping someone will have had this problem before and has found a solution. I need this computer for school and this is getting in the way of my work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hello Ratneer and Welcome -

This is being done on my Toshiba Satellite, so can you open Control Panel and we can compare settings.

Now click on the Mouse section and tell me how you have those settings -

I also have set mine to Single Click for all areas since this seems to operate better -

Thank You -

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

have you uninstalled the drivers and usb ports and connected a plain usb mouse on restart? (not your fancy one)

the virus scans you ran... were they dedicated virus hunters like MBAM, ADWCleaner, JRT, or Combofix? or just your every day anti virus?

do you also have the same problem on a new profile? (create one)

#4 Ratneer

Ratneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

An Update: I am truly flabbergasted now, as I went out and bought an external mouse, and there was no change to my problems. So, I decided I was going to finally take the plunge and upgrade to windows 8 and found that this would be a great time since if it was some kind of malware, upgrading would fix the problem. I did a clean install of windows 8 successfully and the problem is still there, even with an external mouse plugged in. I really don't understand what it could be. 

I checked all of the connectors under the keyboard and they all appear to be in good condition, but I have no clue what else to do.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I was gonna say it may be a registry issue, but since you did a clean install of Windows 8, Id say i could possibly be a faulty touchpad + Left and Right Click.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#6 Ratneer

Ratneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I was gonna say it may be a registry issue, but since you did a clean install of Windows 8, Id say i could possibly be a faulty touchpad + Left and Right Click.

but if it was the trackpad, why would I still have the same issues with a USB mouse?

#7 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ah true, I did forget you said you used a mouse as well. Well, it has to be a setting somewhere or its a registry issue.

Sincerely, Blake.

#8 Ratneer

Ratneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Ah true, I did forget you said you used a mouse as well. Well, it has to be a setting somewhere or its a registry issue.

How though? I am running it on a freshly installed windows 8, everything is default.

The only thing I could possibly think of is there is something severely messed up in the hardware.

#9 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

So when you did a "clean" install, you deleted the old Windows 7 partition right?

Sincerely, Blake.

#10 Ratneer

Ratneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yup, nothing on this computer at all except for whatever comes with windows 8.

#11 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Thats crazy man.. I really dont have anymore ideas for you. I dont understand why you would have the same problem on a different OS and a different mouse, and the fact that the trackpad and the mouse do the same thing. If they both do the same, it HAS to be something on the computer side. Either hardware or software, I just dont know what.

Sincerely, Blake.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

The only thing I could possibly think of is there is something severely messed up in the hardware.

Yeah, sorry... It's a motherboard issue most likely. I think you're right.

You could try booting from a Linux live cd just to confirm it though.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

You never answered the question...about uninstalling the drivers for the touchpad and the mouse.

It's possible that corrupt drivers can affect more than just the designated device, IMO.

Specific model of this Toshiba system, please?  There are gazillions of Toshiba Satellite, we need the specific model.

Moving topic to Internal Hardware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Did you download and install all of the drivers?

This is placing the cart in front of the horse, but still may provide you with a list of drivers which will need to be upgraded.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

Please post the model of this Satellite?

Not knowing what model this is I don't know if you have to disable the track pad in order to use a USB mouse.  So try the following to see if this works.  If not it is simple to reverse.

1) Press the Windows key + R to open up the Run command.

2) Type in main.cpl, then press Enter.

3) Mouse Properties will open, select the Device settings tab.

4) Place a check in the option “Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device it attached” option, then press OK.

5) Restart your laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

You never answered the question...about uninstalling the drivers for the touchpad and the mouse.

It's possible that corrupt drivers can affect more than just the designated device, IMO.

Specific model of this Toshiba system, please?  There are gazillions of Toshiba Satellite, we need the specific model.

Moving topic to Internal Hardware.

Louis

The main thing that threw me off is that Ratneer said he did a clean install of Windows 8. I dont see why he would have the same issue if he reinstalled the OS, a different OS at that. He also said it did the same thing with an external mouse?

Sincerely, Blake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users