Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted Xp-still Crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hausmommy

Hausmommy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Ok here's the deal:
I built my own computer from spare parts, and received a copy of XP pro from school. Now, I have an ASUS A7S333 motherboard with a 2 gig processor, 1 gig of RAM, and a 200 gig harddrive. I had to use an adapter for my harddrive when I installed XP. My computer hadn't been reformatted in almost a year, so I decided it was time to do so(it was crashing and locking up frequently-virus and spyware scans detected nothing). I reformatted the computer and completetly updated it.

Now, I keep getting the BSOD(blue screen of death) and each time it's a different error. However, when I run CheckDisk, it's ok. Sometimes, the error is tcpip.sys or win32k.sys. Sometimes it's the IRQL Driver error. Does anyone know how I could go about diagnosing or repairing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hi Hausmommy.

I had to use an adapter for my harddrive when I installed XP.

Do you mean a controller card?
Did you install the motherboard drivers and also the drivers for the controller card as well? (if that's what we're talking about)

#3 Hausmommy

Hausmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hi Hausmommy.

I had to use an adapter for my harddrive when I installed XP.

Do you mean a controller card?
Did you install the motherboard drivers and also the drivers for the controller card as well? (if that's what we're talking about)

Yes, controller card is what I meant. I used the driver disk that was provided by my hardware manufacturer(Western Digital). Windows asked me if I wanted to use that driver(disk) or the Windows driver. I selected the disk. Yes, the motherboard drivers are installed as well.

Edited by Hausmommy, 24 April 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Hausmommy

Hausmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

BUMP- Anyone?

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

What Kind of AMD processor is in this motherboard?

You say you had to add a controller card for the hard drive. Why? Doesn't the on-board IDE ports work? Or is the Hard drive SCSI?

With all of the BSOD screens you get, I am concerned that the hard drive may have a bunch of bad sectors or clusters I have had hard drives that formatted ok during the Windows installation and were not worth a you know what.

Also are you using an 80-wire IDE cable - If the drive is IDE? Is the blue connector plugged into the controller card? If not this is your problem these cables are made differently than the regular IDE cables and the blue connector is the motherboard the next one out is the slave or secondary and the one on the end is the master or primary.

Please give us more info on your system.

#7 Hausmommy

Hausmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
Does it always happen at the same time?
Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
Have you added any hardware or software lately?
Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

I'm always doing something different when it happens, and I get several different stop errors.
It happens at different times, and at different lengths of time from the computer running.
No I have not added any hardware or software lately.
No other buggy behavior.

Here's a few of the stop errors:
0X0000024
0x001902FA
0XB6A5B71C
0XB6A5B41C
0X0000004

What Kind of AMD processor is in this motherboard?

You say you had to add a controller card for the hard drive. Why? Doesn't the on-board IDE ports work? Or is the Hard drive SCSI?

With all of the BSOD screens you get, I am concerned that the hard drive may have a bunch of bad sectors or clusters I have had hard drives that formatted ok during the Windows installation and were not worth a you know what.

Also are you using an 80-wire IDE cable - If the drive is IDE? Is the blue connector plugged into the controller card? If not this is your problem these cables are made differently than the regular IDE cables and the blue connector is the motherboard the next one out is the slave or secondary and the one on the end is the master or primary.

Please give us more info on your system.

The hard drive is SCSI, it has worked fine up until recently. Yes, I'm using an 80 wire IDE cable, and the blue connecter is plugged into the controller card. The processor is an AMD Athlon 2400(I think, my friend gave it to me for free.)

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

The hard drive is SCSI, it has worked fine up until recently. Yes, I'm using an 80 wire IDE cable, and the blue connector is plugged into the controller card. The processor is an AMD Athlon 2400(I think, my friend gave it to me for free.)

the above is a quote from his last post.

I have a question I assume you are using the 80 wire IDE cable for either hard drives (IDE) or CD-R or DVD drives (IDE). You say you have it plugged into the controller card. I think you are saying the SCSI controller card. If this is correct why are you running IDE drives off a SCSI card? I do not want to sound stupid but that is the way it looks or reads to me and you do say it is plugged into the controller CARD. I have yet to see a cable for IDE get correctly plugged into a SCSI connector. I do not think they fit correctly.

I think either I am wrong or something is wrong with the way you are explaining it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users