Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to have a virus spread via your router?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hermesx

Hermesx

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Title says it all.

If I had a virus on my pc, would it be able to spread to other PCs that are connected to my router?

Also, would this be possible with a mobile phone?

Say I had an android and it had malware on it and I was currently connected to my router without knowing that my android was infected, would it be able to spread via router?

Thanks,

Hermesx :)

Edited by Hermesx, 03 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Routers can be compromised if they have a weak or default password which attackers can guess. Some routers have known vulnerabilities which can be exploited to open them up to attacks without needing to know the proper password. Malware which can modify routers are rare and may require the router to be a specific make, model and firmware revision. The most common was the DNSChanger Trojan which compromised the router's weak default password using brute-force attacks. The Trojan then changed the router's DNS table to malicious DNS servers...redirecting Domain Name resolutions to unsolicited, illegal and malicious sites the attacker wanted victims to access.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Hermesx

Hermesx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

But what I mean is that if computer 1 is connect to a router and gets a virus, will computer 2 get a virus if it is also connect to the router?

Sorry for the confusion

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

#4 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

Viruses can be spread over networks my manifesting themselves in data packets.  A virus will not be able to spread to another computer on the network by itself.  If you share files over the network these could be compromised by a virus.  As Routers do not have an operating system it is highly unlikely that it will get a virus.  It is possible that the firmware running on the Router could be infected with a virus but the happens very rarely.  Its important to keep updating the firmware to prevent this.  But to answer your question in a general sense the answer is no.  Make sure you have an up to date ahi virus program running on all networked machines.  There are also malware scanners such as cc cleaner and malwarebytes which can be used to scan and remove any malware on your computer.  Phones are actually quite vulnerable to viruses, make sure you get an antivirus for it.  Have a look at cnet for anitvirus software for your phone, they have good android programs for this.    

#5 Hermesx

Hermesx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks. (:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

How DNS Changer Trojans Direct Users to Threats
How To Protect Your Router From Getting Hacked?

#7 elroy1961

elroy1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

I have a friend at work she spent over  $300.00 to let some guy in her computer she has a network router.

he told her she has a virus in her net home network. she has only two computers . is he for real. what you think.

I don't realy beleave his story.

Edited by elroy1961, 13 March 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like she was scammed.

Just curious...did your friend take the computer to a local repair ship or allow a tech to have remote access?

#9 elroy1961

elroy1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

I told her to take it to a local shop she said she would.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users