Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot freezes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tomtit007

Tomtit007

• Validating
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hi can anyone please help me, I have a desktop pc running win7 Pro sp1. All of a sudden it will not boot from start up, some of the icons appear sometimes, then other times they don't. I have tried to disable services etc. but that doesn't help. It will boot in safe mode & run ok, I am using it now. Any help would really be appreciated as I use it quite a lot. Thanks in advance Reg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

So it will boot and show the icons and run normally in Safe Mode?  Have you tried selecting "Run from last known good configuration" or doing a system restore to a previous point.  Honestly, if it runs fine in Safe Mode, but stuff randomly disappears or isn't quite right in normal mode then it may be malware.  Or does it not boot into a normal start up at all?

#3 Tomtit007

Tomtit007
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yes it boots fine in safe mode but obviously is not fully usable. I have run malware & also have avg installed it finds nothing. Thanks for quick reply. Reg

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Your best bet for right now is to try BKSeoul's suggestions to try starting your computer by selecting "Run from last known good configuration" instead of starting in safe mode, or to try doing a system restore to a previous point.

If neither of those options work, then post back here and let us know.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 Tomtit007

Tomtit007
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have tried both the above suggestions, but it still will not boot up. Only way is to start in safe mode. I have also tried to disable services & it makes no difference, Regards Reg

#6 Tomtit007

Tomtit007
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hi any ideas anyone. :smash:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

OK, let's try the following.

Boot into safe mode with networking.

Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx .  On the right under Downloads...click the option to Run Autoruns Now.  On the next two popups, click RUN.

Click Logon tab.  This will show your startup items.

Take a screenshot (after expanding the screen) and post same as an attachment in your next post.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html , skip to last two posts by myself and Andrew.  Andrew's is probably easiest, IMO.

Louis

#8 Tomtit007

Tomtit007
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi sorry not used to this I have saved the info but how do I at an attachment to my reply. Cheers Reg

Ah I think I have done it :bananas:

Attached Files

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Well done :), thanks.

Uninstall the following, please...using Add/Remove Programs:

Spybot

Iobit  Malware Fighter...if you have other Iobit software installed, please uninstall it.

Geek Buddy

Comodo Internet Security

Evario Mediabrowser

Go back to the Autoruns website, repeat the procedure, click on the Logon tab.  Uncheck everything that is still checked, other than Asus AI Charger, Microsoft Default Manager, and Java.

I cannot see what's listed below Windows Mail...but take a look.  If it's not a Microsoft Process...it probably doesn't need to run at startup and you should uncheck it.  Ask me if you have questions/doubts.  Since AVG is still installed as your AV, if there is an AVG entry, leave it checked.

When all the above is done...run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.  Reboot...see how the system runs and let us know.

After uninstalling these...run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users