Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Abbadabba2

Abbadabba2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I have been having startup problems now for about a week and it's driving me crazy.  I am not a PC guru and apologize if I do not explain things right.  My problems started with not being able to start my PC one morning....when I turned it off and turned it on again I got the safe mode screen but was unable to arrow down to start normal mode. As a result I sat through the fix operation and was told that it could not repair all the problems.  Did this a few times and eventually it worked. 

Next day or two I started getting device driver missing, USB port not working,.  Finally found that (Canon scanner driver) and fixed that.  Then this morning I get the following message:

C:\windows\sys32\config\system profile\refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location.

I have Windows 7, 64 bit, have run Malwarebytes, Spybot and sfc/scannow.  The malware problems find only pups and cookies, all repariable. 

I have no clue what happened that started all this startup mess.  I tried to think if I downloaded any new programs, etc., but I have not.  Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

<<C:\windows\sys32\config\system profile\refers to a location that is unavailable...>>

Anytime I see "profile" in an error message...that's a strong hint that the current profile is damaged and needs to be replaced, IMO.  I don't speculate about how or why it's damaged...it's enough to know that a damaged profile can prevent me from being able to boot into Windows.

So, I would review procedures for repairing/replacing current profile with a new one.

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If the new profile then spouts the same/similar message...I'd be thinking about running a diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users