Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Video Drivers Crashing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaveY625

DaveY625

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hello everyone,

Problem: Windows is crashing on startup, Windows logo loads, full animation. Then "hangs". Animation stops, keyboard still functional. (Have to restart regardless).

Safe-mode: works fine.

Safe-mode with networking: works fine.

Windows repair tools and recovery services: works fine.

So pretty much I have ruled out processor, RAM, HDDs, motherboard. You can disagree, of course. :)

I did some troubleshooting on my own. I am 'pretty sure' that the video drivers are the problem.

Video card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 570

Going into Device Manager and disabling or uninstalling the relevant video drivers and Nvidia audio codecs will allow me to boot successfully to regular Windows 7.

As soon as I attempt to re-install new drivers, I am back to step one.

Please advise!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

HI

Latest beta version of Nvidia driver is known to be buggy. I suggest trying a known good WHQL version for testing.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

This version is known to be stable. Uninstall your current graphic driver and Nvidia components completely first and install this version. While installing, choose custom and unselect everything except Graphic driver, HD audio driver and Physx.

cleaninstallnvidia.jpg

#3 DaveY625

DaveY625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hey Anshad,

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your instructions and unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. Any other suggestions would be great. Would like to avoid reformatting the computer.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi

There is a possibility that the card might be faulty. Do you have a spare system to test the card or may be a friend's system ? .  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 September 2013 - 01:36 AM.

#5 DaveY625

DaveY625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hey Anshad,

There is a low, unlikely chance the card may be faulty. It appears that any driver I install, almost the mere thought of a display driver, will crash this computer.

I am going to reimage and see what happens. Will update if unable to fix.

#6 DaveY625

DaveY625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

So, I reimaged the machine. This did not resolve the issue.

Only next step was to investigate the hardware.

Looking at my setup, it appears the video card was screwed in too tightly into the back of the case. Not sure the exact damage it did, but over the course of two years I guess it finally began causing connectivity issues with the motherboard.

I unscrewed the card from the back of the case and just let it sit nice and relaxed in the PCIe slot. This meant I had to leave my computer on its side.

Anyway, this fixed the issue.

I am now most likely embarking on a new computer journey, as I honestly hate my case and siimply want a new motherboard, processor, and hard drives.

Please mark as solved.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi

Thanks for providing the updates  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users