Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows partition keeps running out of space

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jbenny2

Jbenny2

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

I am running windows XP SP2 on a computer with a 500 GB HDD when i set it up several years ago i was told to partition it to keep windows seperate from other stuff on the PC to speed up scans & Defrag. so i set the c: partition (for windows XP that microsoft say only requires 1.7GB on the box) at 10GB then several others for games, music, documents to use up the remaining 490GB.

For the past year i've noticed that the c: partiition is always full (Low disk space warnings) so i've been trying to make an effort to remove thinks i don't need in windows. I also had a few virus issues a couple of months ago which i think i've got on top of now and i'm running AVG which seems to keep them at bay although i do get the odd one pop up now and again.

About a week ago I ran ATF cleaner on a recomendation from a friend and it found over 2GB of junk files in the c:which i removed and i noticed an imediate improvment in windows, however now only a week later it's filled the 2GB back up again and i'm back to only a few MB of free disc space. I ran ATF cleaner again today and it found and cleared about 200MB which were all used up again in about 10 mins and i'm back with no free space no the c: drive.

This is getting really anoying as several programs like itunes can only be installed into the same drive as windows and this is now too full to back up my phone which i need to do a fix on after i back it up

Is there a Vitus or windows bug that keeps creating files to clog up which ever drive it's installed onto. The rest of the 490GB of disc space just stays constant at what ever i've gpt on there. I did think of moving the partition but that only going to be a short term fix as Windows seems to just fill up and volume it's given.

Any suggestions welcomed :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Why not simply...enlarge the C: partition, using any reliable partition manager?

Reduce the size of the other large partition...then add the space available to the C: partition?

Generally...a partition that is 25GB or so ought to be enough for Windows and applications...but you seem to have no need to restrict the size of the C: partition.

Louis

#3 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, I agree. It seems that there is not enough space for your system drive. If there is not too much space, your computer will becomes slowly. As you said, you just leave 10GB for system drive. That is not enough.

#4 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

the problem i have is i originally only allowed 5BG for Windows XP as Microsoft said 2 GB was more than enough and to allow 5 GB for updates and program files. By the way all my program files are on anouther partition. About a months ago i used a partitioning software to increase it to 10GB which it has now filled !! With what because nothing is installed on the C: drive apart fom windows.

I'm affraid if i just keep making the partition bigger it will just keep filling it up with crap and i don't want my two 500 GB haddrives full of Microsoft windows crap. I brought them for storing my work data on, not for Bill gates to use :smash:

What is Windows XP doing to generate 5GB of data when there shoid be very little increase at all, only the odd update, i think it maybe a virus just creating hundreds / thousands of small files everytime i use the computer and hidding them within windows operating system but how do i know which ones are which?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Forgive me for asking, but...so what's your point?  I mean...what is this topic about, what are you seeking?

You asked what some of us thought was a question provoking reasonable responses...which at least two of were provided...and then you go on about what Windows doesn't do and "I think maybe a virus....".

If you feel that your system is infected...this topic needs to be moved to a forum where the system can be checked for infected status.  I can move the topic, if that's what you want.

You stated that you made your partitions too small...if you want to correct that, a reasonable alternative has been offered.

Louis

#6 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

Sorry if i seem unreasonable but i was told to enlarge the partition a few weeks ago which i did and the extra 5GB had just slowly disapeared and i'm back to 18MB free space on c: drive whats stopping the same happeneing again if i move the partition again?

I just don't understand how this much data can be unaccounted for, which is why i'm thinking that it might be a virus but i'm runnng AVG which has always done me proud in the past and given me little cause for concern.

Although i use computers alot for my work, and i did some basic programing back in the 90's i havn't kept up with compluer developemt and i don't understand fully whats going on which i why i ask questions here?

Bassicly i'm looking for an explanation as to why my hard drive apears to be filling up with data when i don't put anything on there myself.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

10GB is really not enough. In the early days of XP before any value in using FAT32 disappeared, I started out installing to partitions just under the 8GB to avoid larger clusters. This was just too cramped, and I settled on using around 15GB which was much more workable for XP.

As for what can be increasing disk usage, malware is certainly something to check for. However there are other things that are set as a percentage of partition size and can continue to consume that greater space, such as system restore. Also the backups of MS updates will continue. I removed 3.4GB of MS Office update backups and I think about 850MB of Windows ones from one system that hadn't been purged for maybe 7 years.

You could discover how the drive is being used with a utility such as WinDirStat:

http://windirstat.info/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for that Partypus, windirstat found the problem straight away. iTunes! Although i had installed it in a differect partition it still used the c: to back up my phone. It found 3.7GB of backup files. This also makes sence as i regularly back up my phone as i use the USB to charge abd it's syns everytime its connected.

Just uninstalled it and now all i need to do is find a way to force it to use another partition to backup.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Personally I use 38 GB partitions for everything on my machine. The Windopes partition has about 16.5 GB of free space on it, and I use "CrapCleaner" on it every day to get rid of garbage that is downloaded every time you go onto the internet. So my "C" partition is using about 21.5 GB of space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users