Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White squares instead of text

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sorian

Sorian

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hey guys, I am noticing an issue with some of windows default programs.

Problem has been observed on:

Wordpad

Paint

Symptoms:

When I tell these programs to Save as, Instead of readable text in the title I get white squares.

This is also visible in print preview for the individual buttons, as well as the prompt asking if I would like to save.

Images of symptoms:

Attached File  Paint Save as.JPG   49.79KB   10 downloads

Attached File  Paint Prompt.JPG   28.81KB   11 downloads

Attached File  Paint preview.JPG   33.59KB   9 downloads

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have run into this problem once or twice, and it came down to one of the system fonts being corrupted, usually 'Tahoma'.

Because I do quite a lot of graphics work, I have a large collection of non-standard fonts and sometimes, when re-installing Windows I have got a little over-enthusiastic with restoring my fonts collection and zapped some of the Windows basic fonts. Windows doesn't like this !

Try re-installing your fonts. If you can't do it off an XP disc, so long as you have a licensed copy of XP, I don't think it is a breach of copyright to copy the font files off another computer running XP. If I am wrong on this point, no doubt someone will correct me.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Either the fonts are corrupted or the language files are corrupt.

Re-installing the windows (or upgrading to Windows 7),XP will be unsupported after 1 April,2014) will solve the problem.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

If these are corrupted file try running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

During this scan you may be prompted to insert your installation disc in the DVD/CD drive, if you have this disc you will want to have it available before you start the scan.  If you don't have this disc and are prompted for it you will need to follow the *instructions below for locating the i386 file. 

To initiate this scan go to Start> Run and type in sfc /scannow then press enter.

If files are found during this scan which need to be replaced you may be prompted to insert your installation disc, do so at that time.   If it doesn't ask you for the disc this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.   In the event the the system asks you for the disc, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

***Warning, the steps below involve entering the Registry.  If a mistake is made there this can render your computer inoperable.  For this reason I suggest that you first back up the rigistry.***

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
  • For version with the Installer:
  • Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
  • Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
    Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

*If you do not have this disc you will need to locate a directory on your system which is named i386. You will need to search for this in the registry, to do this type in regedit in the Search programs and files box and then press Enter, you will see a screen similar to the one below.

registrysnip_zps5dd5b3c6.png

To find this you will need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup 

You will see the list of HKEY options, please notice the arrow to the left of the option, when you click on this arrow the menu will expand and you will be able to find the next step “SOFTWARE”, expand the menu on this option and proceed till you reach “Setup”.  Under “Setup” you will need to find “SourcePath”.  The SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. This needs to be changed it to C:\, to do this double click on SourcePath, a box will open where you will make this change by typing in C:\.

Restart your computer now and try running the scan again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users