Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup VPN Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Good Morning All,

I am trying to setup a VPN in our office, below is our current setup.

We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and are using a Netgear FVS318G router, we have 5 users that need to connect outside of the office, mainly from the road (i.e. Panera Breads, Hotels, McD's, etc.).  We purchased the Netgear Client software but have had issues with it dropping the connections and it is very very slow.  I am new to networking and have been assigned the task to find a new solution, I would prefer a free solution, but am open to the purchase options.  One employee mentioned that they used Shrewsoft VPN software in the past, is this a good software, in addition, does anyone know a good place to find step by step setup instructions for a VPN?

Thanks!!

Brent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

See if this will help you any. After doing this, if not set by default make sure port 1723 -TCP for PPTP traffic is open.

Here is another option if you want to do it on a client basis.

Edited by chrisd87, 03 September 2013 - 10:41 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 peachyrose

peachyrose

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

One employee mentioned that they used Shrewsoft VPN software in the past, is this a good software

I am not really sure if Shrewsoft VPN is a good software, I haven't try it yet. You have to search this kind of VPN

and check on the feedback if it is really a good one.

#4 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Do you have a GUI for you firewall?  Connect to it and set up rules for VPN, assign bandwidth etc for the connections. 

#5 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have used Global Connect and LogMeIn.  Both are quirky, but I tend to prefer Global Connect.  Simple, easy to set up as a deployment on part of the image or over SCCM, and no frills.  The few little quirks about it are easily overcome if you can spend ten seconds with the user who encounters it (but finding out about the quirks and their fixes is what takes more time).  Mostly it is as simple as recognizing that "On demand mode" means not connected, so tell it to connect.

Edited by wing987, 10 September 2013 - 10:47 AM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users