Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP: c000021a (session manager failed to create protected prefixes)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ccold_river

ccold_river

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

This one has me stumped.  I've always been able to fix just about any problems I encounter thanks to you guys and others like you in the many awesome and helpful forums across the Net.  However, this problem seems to have very little information out there, particularly for Win 7 and none of it seems to have any root cause analysis or answers other than "wipe it out and start over."  I'd like to get to the bottom of it before giving up and reimaging.

I have a machine that flashes the following blue screen during Windows startup (after logo):

STOP c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The session manager failed to create protected prefixes system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

All of the safe mode options fail with the same BSOD. This system cannot boot, even into safe mode.

Steps already taken:

1) Startup repair is of course unsuccessful.  It says there is a startup repair pending, but I see no pending.xml in the winsxs folder.

2) sfc /scannow goes nowhere, saying system repair pending. 

3) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows shows the following result: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log....(etc)

4) Decrypted hard drive in order to remove encryption as the variable.  Steps 1 through 3 were tried again.  Exact same results.

The CBS.log contains nothing from the past two weeks.  Indeed, no files in that folder have been updated since the day this problem first arose in mid-August. 

Details: Laptop - Win 7 Pro x64

User reports that he had installed drivers for his personal printer the day prior to this failure but cannot recall any other changes that he would have made to the system. 

Any ideas or is the only solution taking this Windows 7 out behind the barn and putting it out of its misery?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

(edited to clarify cannot get into Windows OS)

Edited by ccold_river, 03 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 ccold_river

ccold_river
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Unfortunately, I cannot do either of the requested items.  This system cannot boot, even into safe mode.  The same blue screen appears during all attempts to boot to Windows.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Seems your options are limited if you can't boot into Windows.  Not sure that would have made any difference, looking at other examples of this error seem to result in repair or clean installs...with possibility of hard drive failure as the root cause.

Louis

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Agree to hamluis. Backup the data as soon as possible and test the hard drive for surface defects using manufacturer's diagnostic tool. 

#6 ccold_river

ccold_river
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

All right, thanks guys.  Figured I'd check to see if anyone had any ideas before just going the wipe route.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Wiping won't accomplish much...if the hard drive isn't fully functional before/after the wipe.

Louis

#8 egrek

egrek

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

Found this while searching for this error. I'm having the same BSOD. Just adding this in case someone else sees this and is going to give up on their computer prematurely.

For me, HD is working fine, and F8->Disable signature checking  gets me to the desktop.

#9 stevem12t2

stevem12t2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

I had exactly the same issue. This is a windows 2008 server 64 bit and not R2. If I bypass the signature checking I can get on the system. I see something in the logs about ASPI32 not able to load and was blocked. I am not sure but had restarted this PC fine just a few days ago. Anyone figure out anything deeper here. This is a domain controller with exchange server running and has been working fine for a long time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users