Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HEADSUP... Acer using 12-pinout mobo connectors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Acer Aspire AT3-6050UR21 Desktop, currently stocked at Amazon

Obviously this is not a home build system but an Acer box. However,essentially for $700+ dollars you are buying a computer that cannot be upgraded other than memory.

Evidently Acer has sold-out integrity to make a few more bucks and created a 12-pin motherboard power socket for their proprietary 12-pin, 300watt power supplies. That means that this units very underpowered power supply is not upgradeable and the motherboard will not accept standard ATX power supplies. Be forewarned. Notice this power supply is only 300 watts, wayyyy underpowered for today's needs. I have seen other Acer units advertised with 300 watt PSs, and while I have no direct experience with these, let the buyer beware. I only have found out about this one; there may be others, and retailers rarely print the power supply specifications on their tech spec lists so you are shooting in the dark when you buy an Acer. Too bad, I always liked Acer over other computers, but if they are going to pull this snake-oil salesman tactic on their consumers, what other little surprises do they have in store? For $700 I can build a computer that is twice what this one is and is completely upgradeable for future needs.

Read users' comments:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AT3-605-UR21-Desktop-Black/product-reviews/B00COGA69S/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/182-2777438-4598408?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for letting us know :thumbup2: I bought an Acer a few years back, and spent more upgrading it then what I originally paid for it. IMO the only good acer products are their monitors.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I see nothing wrong with that computer. It was designed and targeted at the average computer buyer that just wants to turn it on and use it. I believe that for the target audience it is perfect.

For what it is worth this is not the first brand name computer to use a non standard power supply connector. HP did that for their Slimline computers where it was a mini ATX connector.

I have a Acer laptop. It is what it is and I knew that when I bought it. Cheap Single Core Windows 7 laptop. It does the job I got it for.

I'm on a All-In-One Lenovo. I bought it with no expectations to upgrade it. My i7 Desktop I built and it is Upgradable.

I'm sorry You are unhappy however I suspect this is an up and coming trend by all makers to eliminate sales of low end computers that are low profit margin scavenging sales of fancy units that have a higher profit margin.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

I know that Dell does the same thing on their Optiplex 780 series. I custom build PC's anyways, so this I could care less about. Do your research before you purchase, and you won't have anything to worry about.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 RavenWing71

RavenWing71

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'm upset about this change as well.  One of the reasons we chose to sell Acer computers years ago was that they were following the standards in building their computers.  When they started making Small Form Factor computers, we said OK, their going to be non-standard so they can fit in the small box.  We also continued to stock the Mini-Tower versions for better repairability and upgradeability.  If they are going to start makeing Propriatary computers mascarading in Mini-Tower cases, we may have to choose another brand of computer to carry.  For sure we're not going to stock the AT3 computers...

#6 bslepko

bslepko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

I had the same problem with an Acer At3-605-UR24 desktop I bought late last year, no way to upgrade the psu due to the proprietary psu-mobo connector.  I tried for day to find something on the web to no avail.  Also tried Acer support and they couldn't help.  I reached out to a bunch of executives at Acer (I'm in the support business myself) and actually received a reply.  Guy named frank.chang@acer.com acknowledged the problem, indicated he is responsible or fixing it over the last twelve months, assured me they changed for future builds, and best of all promised to track down a 500w psu for me, for free.  We'll see if it comes in but so far pleased with the response from Acer.

Brian

#7 EZRydr

EZRydr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hi bslepko,

Did you ever get your 500W PSU?  I have the exact same model.  I bought mine 18 days ago and I believe the PSU failed on me.  It wont POST and just does a single beep with nothing on the screen.  My fear is that the PSU will fail (again) eventually and then I will be stuck with an un fixable PC.  The specs on this system are really nice minus the PSU. 

I got the RMA from ACER and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or not.  Also, I emailed Frank to see if he'll help me out.  I guess he is a marketing guy. If they send me a 500W PSU I'll keep it but if not, I'd like to return to Newegg.

Thanks,

Justin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users