Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI 3.0 on Windows Xp-what's that warning?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

I just installed Secunia PSI 3.0 on my Windows XP....everytime iI open it and it is loading I get a little warning pop-up that says Internet Explorer is running slow and if I continue to run this script it can cause computer to stop responding,it gives two options,continue to run this script,yes or no....I say yes and not sure what this means?

Also,5 programs needed to be manually updated,I did them all but 2 remain after several attempts.MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and New Version of Firefox 21.X............why do they still show as needing to be updated? Secunia is at 97%

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Use Google Chrome or Firefox. I personally don't recommend to use IE cause :

it freezes a lot

it's slow

it's a little bit less secure. Most of exploit try to exploit IE more than Chrome or Firefox.

The only good thing about IE I can find is that it has DoNotTrack and  it has improved its visuals.

Google Chrome download page.

Firefox Download Page.

On-topic : it's an error over Internet Explorer,not anything to do with PSI 3.0

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

I just installed Secunia PSI 3.0 on my Windows XP....everytime iI open it and it is loading I get a little warning pop-up that says Internet Explorer is running slow and if I continue to run this script it can cause computer to stop responding,it gives two options,continue to run this script,yes or no....I say yes and not sure what this means?

Also,5 programs needed to be manually updated,I did them all but 2 remain after several attempts.MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and New Version of Firefox 21.X............why do they still show as needing to be updated? Secunia is at 97%

The recommended action is to roll back to Secunia 2.0. You can find it on the right hand side of this page. Uninstall Secunia 3.0. It's terrible. And then download 2.0. That should fix your problem. 

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/sys_req/

#4 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi Guys!

Lazy,You just reminded me....I forgot to mention and this is funny,I don't use internet explore???I do use Firefox......can I just eliminate something that must be on my computer in relation to internet explorer....be gentle,you know I am a novice(lol)

Frank,I think Animal mentioned something about not all Secunia versions play well with MS Windows XP.....I will try this

Thank you both so very much                                                                             

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Here is the original discussion on Secunia 3.0 and not playing well with XP. And where a few of us reverted back.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458749/secunia-psi-30-has-just-been-released/

The link for the Secunia version 1.5.0.2 that works better with XP is in post #10 by Orange Blossom. It's a direct download link. Be advised that version looks nothing like version 3 and may take some getting used to. Also I strongly suggest to close it after checking updates and not allowing it to constantly run in the background.

Now that I'm using Windows 7 I don't care for version 3. As I'm rather used to the older version. But version 3 works for me now.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

When I got my new PC with Windows 7, I asked about Secunia as I have used it since it was in Beta. The general advice was stick with 2.0. That's what I have now. Most users don't like the latest version.

#7 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Interesting I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and...it gives me same error for IE

edit : I'm confused...Animal says it doesn't run well with XP while i'm using 7 and I get the same error.

@NewBleeping I'm Jesus H. Christ/Nitro,read my profile or my older posts.

As Animal said,it doesn't play well with XP. I might want to try another vulnerability scanner,if not possibledownload Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit (I use it since Malwarebytes purchased ZeroVunerabilitesLab) -- It's amazing for a BETA to protect against drive-by downloads,Java vulnerabilities (without requiring updates for itself) and block unknown exploits. it's tested against 20 exploit kids,including Cool Exploit Kit,over Windows XP junk PC. 

Edited by LazyPotato, 04 September 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

What is that run on conglomeration you just posted, and even edited, supposed to mean? I don't have the faintest clue what your point even was intended to be.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

either to find another vulnerability scanner or download an anti-exploit like MBAE,edited for fixing a typo

edit : added reason for editing my previous post.

Usually. I hit enter button for only one time to make a paragraph. But BC needs two enters to make a paragraph. I'll fix my grammar over my previous post.

Edited by LazyPotato, 04 September 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi Animal....After reading Franks post and remembering what you and Orange said I downloaded the 2.0 version and it seems fine but I think I will try the 1.5.0.2(should have went back to check exactly which version you all said-lol)but since its easy enough to uninstall and install different versions I would like to see for myself..................for some reason I cant find that MS malicious software removal tool to remove it(Secunia says its end of life and I should remove)so I don't see it as harmful?Please,if I am mistaken ,do correct me!I corrected the MSIE warning problem because I saw that somehow ,although I don't use it,it was listed in my programs....so I removed it and now the error message is gone!I like this 2.0 version because it is very easy to understand and use....

Lazy,I know its you(Mr Christ)and I fixed the IE error message,maybe it snuck up on you too?I never downloaded it myself so I have no idea how it got there?But it seems you know alot more than I do,I'm just saying that worked for me...

Okay,thanks y'all

#11 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Malware-analyzing is quite easy (and very fun)  once you know how to read HEX and a little bit of memory-analyzing -- I only know about malware-anlzying and nothing special besides Computer Security...Well anyway on-topic :

Basically,a vulnerability scanner is a software that will remind you to download the latest updates.without patching or "shielding" the application. So,I might want to try an anti-exploit,cause it "shields" against zero-hour or zero-day (zero hour -> vulnerability discovered a hour ago,no patch available,zero-day,same as zero-hour but with a 23 hour difference.) threats,it's just my opinion,but I prefer updating and then shielding.

Basically,an anti-exploit is a program that will protect applications such as Java from being exploited,without signature updates -- And,it even unknown exploits will fail to bypass a good anti-exploit. For me,an anti-exploit with updated software is better solution than a vulnerability scanner,why? I don't need a program telling me I need to update a software.

Edit : Added paragraphs (fixed the wall of text)

Edited by LazyPotato, 04 September 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#12 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Getting back on topic.........

Yes, I definitely agree that Secunia PSI version 1 is the best to use with Windows XP, and version 2 with Windows 7.

Have tried using their version 3 with both XP and 7, but had nothing but trouble with it.

All of our family PCs now have Windows 7, and with PSI version 2 - it's smooth sailing!

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#13 101AB

101AB

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Same situation as Torvaid, 7 & 2 works for us!

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

To get back to the point about the MS Malicious Software tool, this usually comes out with a new version each month on 'Patch Tuesday'. MS introduced it to try and reduce the incidence of malware in - especially - privately owned computers. The biggest drawback of owning a computer is that you automatically become your own System Administrator - unless you have a knowledgeable friend to turn to. It's your baby, it's your problem !

If Secunia is reporting the malicious software tool as being out of date, are you getting regular MS windows updates ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#15 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi Animal!

I just got a new(refurbished computer)with Windows 7 OS......I downloaded the Secunia 2.0 version,took me quite some time to get all the necessary updates  to get a 100% reading but I finally did(yipee)........do you think this is fine or do you prefer the 3.0 version and if so,why?I am so used to the 2.0 since I was using it with my XP but I guess I can get used to anything as I am now having to learn to get familiar with Win 7-lol    

Best Regards,Kwik(newbleeping)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users