Direct reply from DELL on the same problem, if it is worth reading - (quite common it seems)
Chris will give you a better idea than I can -
Since the screen display is distorted, you can run the Dell diagnostics to determine any hardware failure.
To perform the diagnostics, follow the steps:
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the <Fn> key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-boot System Assessment.
3. A screen will appear with a message 'Were color bars displayed? (Y/n).
4. Press 'Y' key if the color bars are displayed properly.
5. If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.
6. Please share the error codes if any.
To ensure that the LCD screen is not the cause of screen distortion, please run the LCD test.
1. Turn off the computer; press and hold the <D> alphabet key, push the power button and release the keys simultaneously.
2. This will initiate a grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green then White, to allow you to inspect the entire LCD.
3. If there is no distortion in the screen during the test, the LCD screen is functioning properly.
If the test completes without errors, try the BIOS update from this link: http://dell.to/POL3wO.
Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
* No external devices(except the keyboard, mouse and monitor) should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved
* The AC adapter should be connected during this process. The battery should be 10% or more than 10% charged .
Click on 'Download File'>> click 'Continue'>> Click 'Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>
Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to (make a note of the folder location)>>
Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click 'OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >>
If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >>
Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator'>>
Follow the installation wizard instructions. The laptop should reboot after this update.
At times, the distortion on the screen could occur due to a corrupted driver.
Moreover, the AMD drivers that you installed could be generic.
The drivers available at Dell support site have been tested with your computer.
You can install the drivers mentioned below and observe the computer.
Hence, uninstall the graphics card driver.
To do so, go to Start>> type 'devmgmt.msc' in the search box without the quotes and press Enter
Expand the list for Display Adapters. Right-click the driver and uninstall it. Reboot PC.
Hereafter, download and install the dell drivers from this link: http://dell.to/QFniEN
Edited by noknojon, 03 September 2013 - 06:22 PM.