Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best combination to protect computers from the free clicking of kids?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi all,

I currently have 8 pc's and 1 laptop (and have 2 backup laptops) running on my home network. We have a variety of OS running from XP up to Win 8. Why, someone may ask! Well, I have 6 children that do all their schooling online at a virtual public school and each of them MUST have their own computer to do their schooling every day. Then of course, there is me and my husband who need computers of our own. 

So, with so many kids using computers on my network I feel like I'm constantly battling some sort or spyware, malware, virus, hijacking, etc on one computer or another or possibly over my whole network!

Of course this makes me totally nuts and I need an all network, all computer solution if there is one. On 6 PC's (the max) I'm running Norton 360 via our Comcast account. The other's I have Microsoft Security Essentials. I have downloaded Spybot search and Destroy on all computers, Malwarebytes (free) on all computers, and I do my best to keep things updated and run the spy/malware as often as I remember. BUT TO NO AVAIL - something gets in and my kids can't stop clicking on all that 'pretty' and 'interesting' 'cool' stuff put out there to infect them. AFterall, they're kids.

So, can anyone suggest to me the BEST Full line of defence that will run on all systems with as little maintance as possible and as free as I can get - hey six kids is a very expensive obligation!

If it's any consulation, I'm a third year Web Development student and have taken Security and Advanced Security (Hackers Handbook was our class text) so I'm not a total dumby to security and not a total novice to repairing computers (physically and internally) so I might understand some tweaking of programs if needed.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

How about something like this http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/

They have free

Flexible parental controls that protect every Internet-connected device in your home, instantly.

When you set up FamilyShield on your router, every device in your home gets protected. That means everything: your kids' Xbox, Playstation, Wii, DS, iPad, and even their iPhone

as well as this Paid one.

Parental controls that protect every Internet-connected device in your home, instantly When you set up OpenDNS Home VIP on your router, every device in your home sharing your Internet connection gets protected.  In addition to computers, this includes your kids' Playstation, Wii, DS, Xbox, iPad, and even their iPhone.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't know about Rotor,but I'd rather use a multi-layered securiy config

I recommend my current config to you,even if you have two gigs of RAM,it'll work :

Hitman Pro

Malwarebytes Anti-malware,mine is paid,but you can use the free version

EXE Radar Anti-Executable PRO

Shadow Defender

Kaspersky Internet Security

Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit

Rollback RX

and OpenDNS (it's a software that encrypts the traffic of your DNS,preventing spoofing and man-in-the-middle-attack,I'm not referring the default DNS)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

In fact, have the entire family read that topic, especially the first section which contains information for Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

In fact, have the entire family read that topic, especially the first section which contains information for Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection.

Children younger than ten won't understand what's a 'malware' and probably laugh at OP's face for being over-paranoid and...the result we know.

the most excellent option for this situation I can find right now is a multi-layered security config,or DeepFreeze. 

#6 ummhasan

ummhasan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Quietman, I have always despised that stupid tea timer!!! I only use the Spybot scanner. I'll surely check out the Super Antispyware in a few. I'll also print out the Best practices and give it each member of our family - great idea!

Roter, I'll check out the opendns and see what they offer and the ease of setting up and use.

LazyPatoto, I probably would prefer a multi-layer solution; however, my ability to maintain that multi-layer on multiple computers would be crazy overwhelming (I think).

I appreciate all the replies.

#7 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

not really. if configured right,it'll be a set-and-forget solution.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

Don't forget that You will want a Good Antivirus and Maybe Malwarebytes Pro. However The Malwarebytes could get expensive for a lot of computers.

Setting something Like OpenDNS on the router that is password protected means that it can not be disabled. Antivirus can be disabled by the user. I remember someone telling me how Norton kept blocking his GF from opening an email, So she turned it off, 15 minutes later the Windows installation was Toast.

Just an opinion. FWIW I run Malwarebytes Pro since it is a lifetime license, on all the computers in the house + a Antivirus with Antispyware. And of course Web Of Trust: http://www.mywot.com/

WOT is a free website reputation, rating and review tool that helps find trustworthy websites and protects against online scams, untrustworthy links, and ...

Reputation ratings boost trust online

WOT displays a colored traffic light next to website links to show you which sites people trust for safe searching, surfing and shopping online: green for good, red for bad, and yellow as a warning to be cautious. The icons are shown in popular search engine results, social media, online email, shortened URL’s, and lots of other si

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 ummhasan

ummhasan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Rotor, I've been thinking about purchasing that license and I did look at pricing (which isn't that much) but because I need it for more than 5 computers, I have to purchase a corporate license. I still haven't gotten around to emailing them to find out pricing for that. From their site https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/purl-consumer?x-source=website&x-action=index_page_new:

Volume discount
You must purchase the minimum quantity, shown in the left-hand column, in order to qualify for the discounted price in that row. Qty. Unit price You save 1 $24.95 0 % 2 $22.45 10 % 3 to 5 $19.95 20 %
To purchase Malwarebytes Anti-Malware licenses for corporate, business, government, educational or organizational use (or greater than 5 consumer licenses), please contact our corporate team at Corporate Licensing.

#10 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

This is exactly one of my problems, only with one kid.
The "kid" is astute enough to bypass most security features I've tried to use on all the electronics. There's simply too many ways he can connect on the web.
He has Aspergers and ADHD and is fixated on youtube. And any public outlet youtube esque, mortifies me because of some of the videos I've seen him post. He also has ALL the gizmos (think xbox and wiiu, ipod - no cell yet)
The wife uses a router and that is how he gets online for legit purposes, like homework. We also get online via the same router, so blocking sites like youtube and facebook, are not practical using open/dns.
Sadly, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to deal with a tweenager who would live his life online, via a router if he could.

#11 ummhasan

ummhasan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Sadly, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to deal with a tweenager who would live his life online, via a router if he could.

Lol - I had to laugh! This is how most of my 6 kids are - they would litterly camp out at the computer every night and day if I let them! They have to get online every day because all of them do school online. We don't like the regular public system and I have one who needs special education and isn't making it that system and the others are too bright and need more of a challange. School has became a war zone for trying to raise a kid with manners, respect, and the like - but that's another forum!

Anyway, I'm was already going to start blocking youtube this week via my modem/router (at least during school hours/days). Depending on what type of router you have, you can log into the control interface via it's IP address and block specific sites and many routers allow you to choose times and days to block them. Use an alphanumeric camel case password so he cant decipher it. Your wife and you can store it in your wallet/purse (maybe) and NEVER tell him where it is! You can also block only his computer during certian hourse via most routers today. I'm also using Windows Family safety which can set time limits.

Most of my problems come from my child who has congnitive and memory delays. She creates hundreds of accounts on the multiple sites because she keeps forgetting her password and is too hastey to wait for me. She clicks on everything she sees and has a serious interest in hacking! She actually hacks the fantage game somehow to gain serious points - I have no idea how she does it because she won't tell anyone!

My point, when you've got kids who think they are smarter than you and LOVE computers - the 'general' stuff doesn't cut it. We too use the same modem/router (all in one) so I'm going to have to really read through the documentation and see how to allow certian MAC id's on certain sites like YouTube.

#12 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

I really wonder what he does over YouTube...anyway,you should install DeepFreeze as a lifetime license if you can to all of your six computers,any changes,after restart,will be discarded.

Edited by LazyPotato, 03 September 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#13 ummhasan

ummhasan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

Great suggestion LazyPotato, I'll check that out and see how it works and might just do that.

#14 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

No items can be excluded,though.

Edit : but in Shadow Defender (currently I use)  Registry Keys and Folders can be excluded.

Edited by LazyPotato, 04 September 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#15 ummhasan

ummhasan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Okay, I'll check into that as well, but I do need a solution that will allow certain computers to have full access. My husband is not a computer person at all, he hates dealing with them except to watch news, shows, and get on FB, and he does not like me doing anything with his computer so I will need a solution that will allow him to visit any site he wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users