Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Refurbished Computers on Ebay

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi, I am currently running XP home SP3 and since it's time is running out, I am thinking of getting a Win 7 system, the reason I am asking about Ebay is because I am retired and on a fixed income, I cannot really afford a new system and would some input, I know to only buy from the top rated sellers and have bought quite a few things with no problems but never a computer and I am concerned about the bouncing around during shipping.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2013 - 01:36 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Buying New - Hamluis.

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Good afternoon :).

Since I'm retired and live on a fixed income...I have to say that buying a refurbished system is not a financial consideration, when compared to buying a new system.

The fact that the newer system reflects what is...versus an older system reflecting what used to be...is one item of consideration.

The fact that a new system will provide at least one year of quality repair benefits, via a warranty, whereas a refurbished system reflects a limited, if any, warranty...is one item of consideration.

Even though eBay is now listed on the stock market...and has been a source of products for some for a number of years now...I don't feel that the vendors on eBay equate with the vendors available outside of eBay.  I have more confidence in a new product I purchase from Amazon.com...than I could ever have relative to an item I might purchase via eBay.

Refurbs...are refurbs...for several reasons.  Many of them have been leased units made by OEMs,,,which have suffered use and misuse by various users...and now are being "sold" because they no longer are viable rease/rental material., being replaced by newer models.  Many of them are items which were returned because of physical defect...which has been repaired...and are now sold with virtually no warranty rights.

I suggest examining your premises again...before executing any purchase of any sort.

Louis

#3 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

@ Louis,

I have, in the past, bought refurbished computers from Newegg.com and had the best of luck. for example I am now, even as we speak, using a gateway (refurbished) dx4870-ub17 with a 90 day return and 90 day parts and labor saved  a bit over $200 and runs just fine. Check it out  Newegg.com

also no sales tax or s&h charges.

I'm happy.

#4 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thank you both for your reply's. The vendor I was looking at is Microsoft certified, his Ebay seller name is Quickybay and he has a 100% rating, I am still just looking around and will not rush into anything, will also check out Newegg.com, might even wait till after christmas for sales in the stores although they are pushing all Windows 8 and I do want Win 7, as I have heard of a lot of problems with 8.  
Below is a brief description of one of the systems he is offering.   

Off-Lease Dell OptiPlex 745 Desktop Tower PC. Professionally refurbished and upgraded to meet present demands. This system handles everyday tasks such Internet, Office, Music, Movies as good as any newer Dell PC. It comes with a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System. "Fresh" means that it was installed from a scratch, loaded with necessary drivers and productivity software only. You will find no promotional junk or any useless software designed to slow performance of your Dell PC. Together with great cost benefit, 60 days warranty and 30 Days Money Back, it makes great sense to purchase your Dell from us. We are small company and work with all our clients individually. Our reputation and customer feedbacks are the most valuable asset of the company.

Moe_P

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thank you both for your reply's. The vendor I was looking at is Microsoft certified, his Ebay seller name is Quickybay and he has a 100% rating, I am still just looking around and will not rush into anything, will also check out Newegg.com, might even wait till after christmas for sales in the stores although they are pushing all Windows 8 and I do want Win 7, as I have heard of a lot of problems with 8.  
Below is a brief description of one of the systems he is offering.   

Off-Lease Dell OptiPlex 745 Desktop Tower PC. Professionally refurbished and upgraded to meet present demands. This system handles everyday tasks such Internet, Office, Music, Movies as good as any newer Dell PC. It comes with a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System. "Fresh" means that it was installed from a scratch, loaded with necessary drivers and productivity software only. You will find no promotional junk or any useless software designed to slow performance of your Dell PC. Together with great cost benefit, 60 days warranty and 30 Days Money Back, it makes great sense to purchase your Dell from us. We are small company and work with all our clients individually. Our reputation and customer feedbacks are the most valuable asset of the company.

I see no mention of Original Windows 7 disks and product key (license). As I remember the Optiplex 745 is a few years old. I would ask for the Service Tag for the computer, Then go to http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector

And Put the service tag in and it should show You when the Warranty started and expired.

My recollection is that the Optiplex 745 came with Windows XP. Hence why I would want to make sure it has Original Windows 7 Disks and product Key.

Professionally refurbished and upgraded to meet present demands, By who?

60 day warranty, Not good.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

Roger is giving you some good advice.That is a old computer,save your money and wait till you can afford a newer system.If the power supply quit dell does not stock replacements for that old system.

Edited by mainer21, 04 September 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#7 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for replying, I just used that as a sample, he has many more offerings listed and as I said in an earlier post, I am still just checking around.

Moe_P

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi, As is Louis I am also retired on a fixed income too.

I always buy new too. Too often part of the lower price of a refurbished computer is the shortened warranty.

My latest computer is Brand name store bought lower end computer for internet only. Likewise for laptops of course. My Main high-speed computer is one I built. I wanted expandability for it to work with video.

I find that buying quality is cheaper in the long run. For example the SSD drives I bought were selected for their reliability, Not Speed or price. They were not the fastest or the cheapest, However, Knock wood, no problems with any of them. Another brand I looked at had lots of DOA and rapid death reviews.

If I were to buy a refurb computer I would only buy from the maker as they have the expertise for their models.

Where I worked they bought a lot of off lease laptops and desktops. Some looked like new, some were OK, and a fair percentage were beat up. I suspect that a lot of the "Refurbished" eBay and Newegg and Amazon laptops are also off lease models. The difference being I suspect that bad parts are replaced with used parts to keep costs down. They may (Usually) do not come with recovery media or partitions as they Were most likely Secure wiped so if the hard drive dies or needs a reload you are on your own.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

I agree it's best to get a brand new computer.

--- Based on the representative information you provided, you are essentially looking for a decent computer for the average computer user

--- Check out prices on-line as well as weekly deals locally such as at Staples & Best-Buy

------ I've seen some pretty good deals on-line & at each place and since you have the time, that's good for you

--- If you need help on determining specs & applications, let us know

------ This is very important because you do want to end up buying applications you don't want

If you still want to consider a refurbed computer, check out a local computer repair shop instead of ordering somewhere "out there"

--- I have friends who have done well doing that

--- But again knowing what specs & applications are best for you are very important

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users