Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Checkup - Chrome problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pinecone21

Pinecone21

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi again just looking for a checkup to make sure nothing malicious is on my system.

First off my Avast WebRep stopped working on my Chrome, Avast support told me clean install Avast, clean install Chrome and try again which didn't work. They said to wait for the new Avast (which has a new version of webrep) which will be out this autumn.

After my re-install of Chrome it seems more sluggish, when opening it it takes a few seconds for the blank tab page to load and when I go to google it takes up to 4 seconds to load. Since then I have installed he latest updated version of Chrome and suddenly WebRep started working! However after turning my PC on the next day it was back to not working.

Now I can live without WebRep and have been using Web of trust but my main concern is my Chrome speed and anything which may be on my PC!

If someone could advise me on some software to run and look through my logs to confirm I am all clean that would really put my mind at rest!

Just some info about my PC:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Centre

Avast! 8 Free

Windows Firewall

Malwarebytes (For on demand scanning)

Spyware Blaster

SUPERAnti Spyware

I also try and run ESET online scans when I can.

As I say if someone could look over my logs (and let me know which you require) that would be great!!

Thanks a lot,

Ash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hello Ash and sorry that you were missed -

Not sure what you have run so far, but we can start here >

Download Security Check by Screen317
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Uninstall Chrome from Programs and Features, and use Internet Explorer 10 (default for Win 8)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 07 September 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#3 Pinecone21

Pinecone21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hi thanks for the reply!

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.73  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
avast! Antivirus   
Windows Defender   
 Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 SpywareBlaster 5.0    
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.62  
 Google Chrome 29.0.1547.66  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe  
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

As for using IE, Chrome is my preferred browser, yesterday webrep was working at one point and after the next reboot was not which is weird! The browsing speed and webrep are more of a secondary concern I am more concerned about anything else (malicious) which may be present.

Just to add I ran ESET online scanner the day before last which came back clean.

Thanks I appreciate the help!! :)

Ash

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

As for using IE, Chrome is my preferred browser, < This will not always mean it is better. Your problem is titled "A Checkup - Chrome problems" and I believe Chrome is a problem on Windows 8. There are several similar posts that removed Chrome (an Add-on) and now use I.E. with success.

Why would you want to use an Add-on for your main browser when it is not yet designed for Windows 8 ?

You are having problems with Chrome and avast! combined, so I would remove both and use the Default, Internet Explorer and Defender as a test for at least 2 weeks (I do).

Windows Defender is still installed and active so you will still have always have problems there.

You claim ESET is clean (and run often) and there are no problems, so Update and re-run a Malwarebytes Full Scan then post that result first .

Rkill is best run with other programs, so run that first.

Please download Rkill (courtesy of BleepingComputer.com) to your desktop.
There are 2 different versions. If one of them won't run then download and try to run the other one.
You only need to get one of these to run, not all of them.
NOTE : You may get warnings from your antivirus about this tool, ignore them or shutdown your antivirus.
rKill.exe: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/10/
iExplore.exe (renamed rKill.exe): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/dl/11/

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7 right-click on it and choose Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • Do not reboot until instructed.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

If normal mode still doesn't work, run the tool from safe mode.
When the scan is done Notepad will open with rKill log.
Post it in your next reply.
NOTE. rKill.txt log will also be present on your desktop.

Do not reboot, but run this scan directly following rKill >

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!

• Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
• If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
• To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
• Click the Start Scan button.
Do not use the computer during the scan
•If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
• Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
• A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
• Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Thanks -

#5 Pinecone21

Pinecone21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Hi again,

EDIT: Totally missed MBAM will scan now! 2ND EDIT: Nothing found

RKill on the first link seemed to hang when it got to the windows defender is disabled part.

I tried the second which ran fine

RKill Log:

Rkill 2.6.1 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

Program started at: 09/07/2013 02:32:33 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* Windows Defender Disabled

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
   "DisableAntiSpyware" = dword:00000001

Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures: 

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File: 

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 09/07/2013 02:32:51 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 17 seconds(s)

TDSS Killer found nothing.

As for your suggestions regarding Chrome here is my view.

I use Chrome because I prefer it to IE and FF, I know I am complaining it's a little slow and webrep isnt working but if its not down to malicious activity I am fine with that!

I choose Avast over the built in windows protection because it is a better package with better detection rates and in my opinion is the best free protection out there!

Also as for Windows 8 compatibility Avast support (when I asked about webrep) said they are releasing the new Avast this autumn so I am hoping it will fit much better into windows 8 :)

I appreciate the advice but my main concern is malware related! :)

I really do appreciate your time so thank you for helping me!!

Ash :)

Edited by Ash128kwil, 07 September 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hi -

Since there are no infections showing in these scans try the Malware & Virus Removal area

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step #6

If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it to ==>Malware Area<== 
Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

NOTE : Please Copy / Paste all logs requested, and do not use Attach unless specifically asked -

Good luck and be very patient, as the area can get very busy.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Thank You -

#7 Pinecone21

Pinecone21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi noknojon,

Thanks for all of the help I have posted there now and hopefully it will come up clean :)

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will take them into consideration for the future!!

Thanks again I appreciate it,

Ash

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

Since you have posted your logs in the malware removal forum, this topic will be closed. 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users