Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jessr06

jessr06

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

hi.... i dont know what i did. but in the start menu... when i go to programs...it says empty....i have to right click and "explore all users" to get it...and that gives me a folder...how can i get it back to being in the start menu like it should

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hi jessr06
Click Start>Run. Type "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" (no quotes) in the box and hit your enter key.
You should get a "succesful" message. Reboot your system.
If you are not logged in as admin, you'll need to be first.

#3 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

i dont know what admin is, but i am logged on as myself and i wrote that and it did say successful.... and i did reboot but it didnt change anything...any other suggestions (or explan admin)

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:38 PM

Admin=Administrator.
Don't worry about it now jessr06. If it was successful, it's no longer an issue.
Are you comfortable in the registry at all?
There's some values in there that need to be checked and possibly corrected.
If you'ld rather not, maybe I or someone else can find a regscript fix.
Let me know

Edited by HitSquad, 24 April 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#5 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

WOW you replied SO FAST... MAN that rocks.....

yea...i just wish i coudl just go to programs and had what i had because its so hard to find calculator and this n that and all those programs... i wish i could just have it regular....

ill try to sign in as admin...but.... everytime i log in it just goes to the screen... i dont have to like...sign in or anything....

any other suggesstions... if not...thats ok....but if so..great

#6 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

i actually just put in a cd for a webcam and it said program files not found.... i think i need those to be in there so it can be added to the programs... or else it doesnt knwo were to add and says error

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

Well, this may be a solution, but it involves some work. Here's what you do:

Go to this page. Scroll down to line 154. 'Way over on the right, you'll see a line that says, "Remove all Programs from Start Menu." On the right side of that, in the same space, you'll see the word, "UNDO" - that's the one you want! Don't do anything with "Remove all programs" - just right-click on the word "undo."

Then choose "Save As" from the popup menu, and you'll get a little window which will allow you to save it where you want. The filename is "allprogramsdisableundo" - in the little box at the top of the window, navigate to your Desktop and save it there. Once it's there, on your Desktop, it will look like a little registry key. Double-click it, and it should repair your problem. Answer yes when it asks you if you want to merge. You'll have to restart the machine to see the changes.

Edited by Herk, 24 April 2006 - 05:43 PM.

#8 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

its on my desktop and it asks me to Run or cancel...i press run than it says are u sure u want to run/cancel...i press run and it says blah blah has been successfully entered into the registry... i checked programs...evyerthings the same still?

#9 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

isnt there any way i can just drag it onto the start menu...ive tried that but it wont let me...cant i just put it in a certain folder and it adds to teh start menu or something?

nothing seems t work

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hello jessr06, WHat OS are you using? ANd some system stats like processor, Ram etc.?

#11 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

i am not sure what that means...but i have a Dell (sucks).... Windows XP

i just looked on my desktop and theres a folder labled (start menu)

i went to properties "taskbar n start menu properties" and there is classic and start menu...and the one thats lableed start menu...shows ALL PROGRAMS at the bottom but it doesnt even say "empty..." it just doesnt do anything when i click it

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

Did you restart the computer after applying the regfix?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:19 AM

If you know exactly what date the problem started use Windows XP System Restore to reset your system state to a date that precedes the date the problem first began.

Since you do not have a start menu, use explore all users to navigate to programs, then accessories, then system tools, then system restore.

Double click on it.
Pick a date that predates the problem.

#14 jessr06

jessr06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

ok..... i tried downloading my webcam and it is saying "ERROR 1606 could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\STARTMENU\Programs\STARTUP\.

see what i mean... i NEED my start menu....

i guess im just gonna have to reinstall everything.... i wish i didnt because i have to call DELL n have them help me.... and all my songs... i dont want to loose them all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users