Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Internet Browser for XP Pro SP3?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alm8

alm8

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hi guys,

I have one old and one new computer at home. The old one is using XP pro sp3, 32 bit, Pentium 4, 3.6GHz single core processor with 4GB of ram installed (3GB usable). I would like to leave this machine running with xp, so please do not suggest that I get a new one or upgrade to win7 or 8, as I already have a newer one running Win 7.

Overall the performance of this machine running XP is excellent, and it is free of viruses, malware, or any of that bad stuff. I am running MSE as my Anti-Virus (and my malware scanners are only on demand and do not run in real time). I can multi-task with ease and there is no hiccup in performance. I manage my startup list (with CodeStuff's Starter) and services so my machine is running very nice and lean. I am running Internet Explorer 8, and for the most part it rarely ever crashes. I clear out my browser cache regularly, use very little add-ons, accelerators disabled, and basically make sure that my browser is pretty lean as well. For the most part, the performance of IE8 is ok.

However, despite all of this I am finding more and more that IE8 gets slowed down on facebook and various other websites that are rich with media content (youtube is fine, no issues there)...

So after all that I want to know how much better (in terms of speed and overall performance) is the latest version of FireFox (v23, I beleive?) or Chrome then IE8? And basically how do they compare? I realize that IE9 and 10 are basically on par if not better than the latest versions of these other browsers but since they are not available to me on windows xp, would i be better off switching to firefox or chrome?

Thanks in advance for your replys!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

My perception is this with browsers. One size does not fit all. What your browsing needs are and what my browsing needs are is quite different. How I configure my browsers is probably quite different from you. It's not so much one is faster than the other except for stripped down speed tests. The average home user with properly configured near identical setups probably wouldn't notice the difference without a stopwatch.

Since browsers are free why not download ones you might like to try. Configure them for your needs and test drive them on your machine. Not mine or anyone else's. My speeds with a browser unless you have the exact same hardware and ISP speeds won't be the same. Take them for a test drive in real world settings. See which one fits your needs.

I actually have four browsers on my machine depending on what I need to do. I do have a default. But all are available as my needs change.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Wado

Wado

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

MSE works very well with Avast! Free Antivirus. Avast is a lean running program so you won't  have a resource issue. I run Avast and MSE in tandem on my XP machine. 

I switched to Chrome over FireFox a while back. Chrome doesn't crash on me and uses very little resources from my older computer. I like Chrome because I can do an incognito window from any chrome on a customer's or friend's machine, sign into my account and access my browser, favorites, google docs, google phone, etc natively.

I should add that my XP machine is a dual core intel Lenovo 3000 N100 with 4Gigs of RAM.

If you're still not sure, try both Firefox and Chrome and remove the one you use less. 

Have fun,

Fred

Edited by Wado, 02 September 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#4 Vampire1408

Vampire1408

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

maybe you should try searching for a lightweight browser? Using http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/browser-lightest-memory-cpu/ I can see the following are suggested (excluding Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etc)

• K-Meleon
  • PaleMoon
  • Maxthon
  • CoolNovo
  • elinks
  • Qupzilla
  • Midori
  • Avant

Previous research I've done shows K-Melon and Midori and favourable for Linux-based OSs but I've heard maxthon mentioned often for Windows OSs

btw, the latest firefox on my old pentium 4 @ 3GHz with HT doesn't go well with multimedia (but I do have about 10 add-ons)

Edited by Vampire1408, 02 September 2013 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users