Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cauthon

Cauthon

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

So, today a popup popped up and said I should update Internet Explorer. It's not my computer, so I try to be careful not to do any harm for my kids and grandkids, so instead of going along with the link, I went to the Microsoft site and started checking things out. What we have now is IE 10, and a version 11 exists, so I looked into getting that; which seems to open a major can of worms.  Microsoft offers free downloads of all kinds of stuff, but not IE11 for the infamous Windows 8 (anybody know if there is anything to the rumor that we cannot get rid of Windows 8 on our new computer because Windows 7 won't run on it?). Other sites (e.g., Find internet explorer 11 downloads at CNET) seem to have IE11, but it's a Mickeysoft product, so I wonder if I should trust the versions that I might find elsewhere if MS itself is not offering it.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi

Internet Explorer 11 is included in the first service pack for Windows 8 which is code named blue. Upgrade your OS to  Windows 8.1 and you will get IE 11. But i suggest to Wait until the RTM version of  8.1 is released. Both IE 11 and Windows 8.1 are still in beta stage It is not a good idea to upgrade to a beta version which might contain bugs.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 September 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#3 Cauthon

Cauthon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

What took you so long:-) That confirms my suspicions that all is not well, I agree, I plan to stay far away from that one for the present, especially since, as noted, I will not be the usual person using this machine, so I don't want to fill it up with junk for my family to have to fix. 

And as the alumni associations say, from those who have given, more will be asked: We really don't like Windows 8 all that well and have considered going back one step to 7, but rumor has it that the new computers are designed to fit 8. Any suggestions?  Here is some information that appears to be about this computer:

* OS Version = 6.2.9200.0.0.66304 * OS Product Type = 0x00000065 * Computer Brand = Hewlett-Packard * Computer Model = p2-1343w * Platform Role = 1 * AlwaysOn/AlwaysConnected (AOAC) = 0 * Bios Revision = 8.10 * Bios Name = 8.10 * Bios Release Date = 2012-09-27T00:00:00 * Bios Sku Number = H3Z09AA#ABA * Bios Vendor = AMI * Bios Family = 103C_53316J G=D * Bios Major Release = 8 * Bios Minor Release = 10 * Locale ID = 1033

It is of course tempting to can it all and install Linux, but as noted, I'm not home all that much and I don't want to give the rest of the family a big can of worms to untangle:-)

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi

HP officially doesn't support Windows 7 in that machine but it might be possible to install Windows 7 by disabling "Secureboot". Before downgrading to Win 7, take a look at Startisback.  This little program can bring back the good old Win 7 style start menu. A 15 day trial version is available.

http://www.startisback.com/

There are other free and commercial alternatives like Start8 , Classic start menu etc are available but Startisback is the one i personally use and i very much like the native Windows 7 like experience it gives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users