Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Tower

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

I had recently bought an Asus computer a couple of months back.Everything seems to run well but I noticed it will not boot from CD,no option there.I went into the bios to change the setting and there is none in the boot menu.I googled but found no answers accept the motherboared might be locked.I know nothing about that.Does anyone have a solution or should I call tech.support.The only thing I see In the boot menu is a

default setting.Thanx,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have one suggestion, This could be related to UEFI settings in the BIOS.

Here is a example from this page: http://superuser.com/questions/524598/asus-uefi-bios-options-how-to-boot-from-dvd

To get the DVD drive to show up in the boot menu, you might need to go into the BIOS (actually (U)EFI Settings) and enable Legacy (BIOS) Mode or the UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM) or similarly worded option:

I had to do this type of setting with a Windows 8 ASUS laptop.

I left Windows 8 on it and installed Classic Shell http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using. Instead they replaced it with a new interface called the Windows Start Screen that many people find to be not as intuitive as the traditional Start Menu. This is especially the case if you are not using a touch screen. With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

With the addition of Classic Shell I Like Windows 8 as much as Windows 7 and it avoided the pain of starting over and using up a spare Windows 7 License & disk I had bought a while back. I like the way some of the Windows 8 features work better too.

I am doing 95% of my online work in Windows 8 these days and reserve My Win7 Tower for Video work only.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanx for the response but I'm afraid it's way beyond my knowledge or capabilities,Tony.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Which part, The changing one setting in the BIOS or the installing Classic Shell?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Actually I use Start is back so I have the traditional start menu.I am afraid to change anything in the bios unless

I am sure of what I am doing.I will give it a try later tonite,Tony.

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

Ok,gave it a try.When I booted up, for a second or so it said on the bottom of the screen to press F2 to enter legacy bios UEFI settings.I did so and found nothing that looked like what you had mentioned in the tutorial on the link you gave me.I ticked on boot manager and only one option there,hard drive.It said to drag with the mouse to change the sequence but there is no other drive listed,just the hard drive.Now I don't know what else to do,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users