Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tame Device Manager and USB driver problem?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 okiewild

okiewild

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

A month ago, I began to have problems retrieving images from a memory card via the Sony universal card reader for my digital camera. When I plug it into a USB port, a message pops up saying it needs to install RealTek software before I can use the card reader (then it can't find the software). There has never been any RealTek device or software installed or used on this PC. Nothing at the Sony support site was any help. They insist the card reader only uses standard Windows drivers. 

Yes I have the latest Intel BIOS. And Windows Updates. When I look in the Device Manager for possible reasons for the card reader problem, I see a yellow circle and exclamation symbol next to the entry for the Universal Serial (USB) Controller. If I try to run the latest Intel INF/driver updater, it tells me the software on my PC is newer! If I try to re-install the driver via Device Manager, I get "Cannot install this Hardware -- An error occurred during the installation of the device. The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later."  

I did a lot of Googling on the Web and found a number of possible ways to diagnose/fix this, including several Microsoft tech advice pages. None worked. One person suggested I get a new card reader, which won't help as long as something is wrong with the serial USB controller in the Device Manager, right? Any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps3c082bf1.png

Click on File, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click in the Reply to Topic box, then right click and then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Whoa; had never seen Speccy before. Interesting. Here ya go ...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z7uv1gMDk25fuJIS66FpU1P

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Click on the + next to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and see where the error is and let me know.

This is probably what is causing your problem, or at least part of it.

What driver did you try to replace in the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm not seeing a + sign next to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. But if I click on the exclamation mark surrounded by yellow, the first tab in the box that comes up says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."  It's the subsequent effort to reinstall the driver that causes the weird INF and Windows 95 message. The only other data I've seen about the driver was inside a "files moving" activity box after clicking the reinstall button. I saw the text: Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

There has never been any RealTek device or software installed or used on this PC. Nothing at the Sony support site was any help. They insist the card reader only uses standard Windows drivers.

There may be a time that the Realtek device was connected and was not installed correctly or corrupted. Try looking on hidden devices and remove any related software drivers/devices by following this link. Have you tried a different computer also if the problem persist?

Tekken

#7 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

I'm still in the midst of following your advice about hidden devices and unneeded drivers, but I can answer one question.

This same card reader works flawlessly on several other Windows, both WinXP and Win7. Not a big surprise since it worked flawlessly on my computer for at least two years before the recent hassles.

#8 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Apologies for the delay. This has been "interesting." Things I learned:

1 - The XP Device Manager does NOT want anyone to mark several items to be uninstalled, and then reboot to complete the process. You get to pick one and only one item to uninstall, then reboot, and then if XP darn well feels like it, the ancient/useless/don't-even-own-it-anymore item will gone.

2 - The Realtek item I was trying to kill forever is evidently protected by a magic spell created by Bill Gates. I can mark it Uninstall and reboot (and/or cold start) until the cows come home, and that piece of junk will still be sitting there. My only option under Microsoft law is to mark it disabled. As if I'm going to come back some day and install a Realtek device. I'm talking about the company whose only claim to fame is to have manufactured the worst sound card I've ever had in the computer I use at work.

The good news is that as I uninstall (or disable) old/unused stuff, the computer restarts a lot faster. You've probably noticed I haven't said anything about the card reader. That's because all this has taken until almost midnight, so I have to wait until tomorrow to see what bizarre things happen when I try again to use the card reader. Stay tuned.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

I believe what you have is what is known as a orphan file.  This is a file which no longer has any content.

AdwCleaner can remove orphan files, give it a try.

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Search.

adwcleaner_zpsb078b5ee.png

Once the search is complete a log similar to the image below will be displayed, copy and paste this in your next post.

adwcleanerlog_zpsffbc5abe.png

Minuize this image so that you can see the first image and click on Delete.

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

The scan will now start.  When it is finished it will present a log of what was deleted.

#10 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

That's an awesome little utility. BleepingComputer just gets better and better. I will run AdwCleaner on the XP tonight when I get home, and let you know what happens.

#11 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

I've run the aforementioned utility, rebooted and made sure the only Realtek entry in device manager is still disabled. I plugged the Sony card reader into the USB slot and nothing happened. Not good, since normally the green LED  light in the reader turns on to confirm a connection. I tried plugging it into another USB slot but no luck. Also tried inserting a SanDisk camera card into the reader to see if that might kick off some process. It did not. Same as before, the card reader works fine on the PC and work, but isn't recognized at all by my own PC. 

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

If I try to run the latest Intel INF/driver updater, it tells me the software on my PC is newer!

Do you refer to the Chipset INF software from this link?

Tekken

#13 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well, the Intel page sure looks familiar, but I'll need to get back to the home PC and confirm whether or not the Intel exe I ran was in fact that one. 

Apologies for these delayed replies. Working for a living, etc.

#14 okiewild

okiewild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, the INF installer I ran was the same as the one at that link. However, to be sure, I downloaded the one at that Intel link and ran it. Here is the same warning message I have always received:

"This computer currently contains the software version 9.1.1.1023, which is newer than the version you are about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the current software with the older version 8.3.1.1009?"

How can I have newer Intel software installed than the latest from the Intel site? A table at the link/site below suggests that the "older version" may be what was intended for XP SP3. Is it safe to roll back?

http://www.radarsync.com/software/s157410-intel®_82801eb_usb_universal_host_controller_-_24d4

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

http://www.radarsync.com/software/s157410-intel®_82801eb_usb_universal_host_controller_-_24d4

Not familiar with that site. All drivers are available directly from the support site only unless it was drop,phased out, or discontinued. You can rollback or install only the legit drivers only from intel and not from any other websites.

If I try to run the latest Intel INF/driver updater, it tells me the software on my PC is newer! If I try to re-install the driver via Device Manager, I get "Cannot install this Hardware -- An error occurred during the installation of the device. The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later." 

Did you happen to use the radar sync drivers? The link is not trustworthy. Is Avira still working/updated up to this point? Do you have a windows XP disc installer?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users