Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfer recovery drive to usb drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimmymack007

jimmymack007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

I have 2 hard drive bays in my laptop. I used to have 2 750 gig hdds. I took out the primary hdd and put in a ssd. the old primary to the second bay and sold the second 750 gig drive. I would like to know how to transfer the recovery drive in my old primary to a usb drive to install windows 7 that way. can somebody tell me an easy way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

You generally can't do this with a factory recovery partition, as the BIOS is hard programmed to read the recovery partition from the primary drive.

I think the best solution would be to create an image of the system drive in its current working state, and store that on the USB drive. Imaging software provides the option to make the recovery media bootable so that the backup image can be restored to a corrupted drive or a replacement/upgrade.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users