Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does my laptop have a limit on CPU upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have a Gateway MT6451 that was given away. The mainboard accepts AMD socket S1 CPU's. The CPU is pretty beaten up so I wanted to get a new one but I would like to upgrade to a better one. Since it's a laptop Am I still limited on what CPU will work on it? If yes where or how can I check the specs on what it will accept? 

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2013 - 08:52 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

TL-50: 1600 MHz (256 KiB L2-Cache per core)

TL-52: 1600 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

TL-56: 1800 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

TL-60: 2000 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

TL-64: 2200 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

As near as I can tell, these are the CPUs that will PHYSICALLY work with the socket and chipset in that Gateway. There are later S1 CPUs, but they operate on differing voltages, and I do not think they are compatable.  The last two CPUs are 35 watt. No idea if the current BIOS will support your upgrade plans.

This would be an upgrade you would likely not notice, but those CPUs are dirt cheap on Ebay, and if you want a learning experience it might be fun.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks man, it actually will be a good learning experience. That is what I'm afraid of, I don't want to overheat anything if the watts are way to much for the mainboard haha. Is there a way I can check out what the board can handle?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

The only way to be reasonably sure is to have the same model of lappy offered with the CPU you want to upgrade.  If there was a Gateway MT6451 (or a really close relative) offered with a TL-64, then you could reasonably assume swapping in that CPU would work.

If It was me, I would search for a parts list and get the motherboard number/specs, then Google that to see what models of laptops came with that motherboard, and what CPUs it was available with.  That's my usual MO.  The same motherboard could be used across a number of lines, and some of those lines might have higher end options.  Double check your BIOS revision, see if later revisions offered any additional CPU support.

Keep in mind that laptop CPU upgrades, with rare exceptions, are usually disappointing.  The CPU rarely runs at full tilt, and other components, namely hard drive and memory, gum up the works a lot more than the CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

I find it more troublesom than what its worth to "upgrade" a CPU in a laptop. Not to mention that model looks a bit old. Like dpunisher said, it could be a fun learning experience and what not if you can find a compatible processor for cheap, but overall you wont see a huge difference.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users