Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking recommendations for a simple-to-use, durable old B/W printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have been using a HP 4L printer with a PC running Win XP (SP3) on a parallel port, for many years, and have been very satisfied.  I lliked that it is ready to print quickly after startup, requires only simple software that has no bugs, doesn't use much toner, and accepts toner from refill kits without problem.  In these regards it compared very favorably to a Dell 1355cnw that I bought recently.

However, this particular HP 4L printer has developed multiple problems (a white streak on the printing drum, a tendency to jam after printing about 20 pages, and now a broken hinge on the top door that's hard to fix).  So I'm looking to replace it.

One option is to buy another HP 4L in decent condition; that seems easy to do on Ebay.

But the HP 4L always had one disadvantage -- it could print graphics only in very low resolution, e.g. a map or chart would be practically unreadable at normal size.  As far as I know, there was no workaround; I got the latest avalable drivers from HP, looked for others, nothing worked.

So, I'm asking people here:  Can you recommend an old model black and white printer, that has the advantages of the HP 4L listed above (ready to print quickly after startup, requires only simple software that has no bugs, doesn't use toner that quickly, and accepts toner from refill kits without problem) and also can handle graphics at a decent resolution?  Printing speed is not important (I'm used to 4 pp/min.) though the ability to print on card stock would be good.

Thanks for any ideas,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't believe in investing money in outdated printers...since OEMs seem to release better, cheaper models by the day.

If text printing is the main thing you use a printer for...IMO, it's silly to use any mdel designed for photo printing...a monochrome laser printer seems a smarter purchase, in terms of ink and quality...and cost.  I use a Konica-Minolta model which I purchased for under $100...there are better models available today.

If I were looking for a printer today, Here is where I would start.

Using your stated criteria...I would never suggest a particular printer.  My printer sample experience...just isn't that extensive :).

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

As Louis says. Why buy another 4L unless you have a large supply of toner cartridges. I Bought a On sale cheap Brother with a spare Toner cartridge Combo deal for $100 recently. It is nice, fast and new with warranty.

Drawbacks would be one paper drawer that holds 8.5" by 11" as its largest size. Legal Size needs to be hand fed into the front slot.

For the amount of printing I do the starter toner and the spare should last me for years. When I tried inkjets I had problems with the Ink drying out and clogging the print heads.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users