Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opened up bottom of laptop to try to clean fan and now no display

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KGthaKid

KGthaKid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I suppose you can chalk this up as a poor decision I made, but anyway...I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop that's been in use since 2006, and it has obvious signs of rough use here and there (a few cracks near the hinge area, and I tried to unscrew the bottom of the computer in order to clean some of the dust that's accumulated over the years, since I could hear the fan working (it still ran OK for an old computer, though).  After screwing everything back together, I turned the computer on, but there was no display at all, and the computer was unusually quiet.  I then hooked the desktop monitor to my laptop to see if it was at least trying to run, and I did see the Windows XP startup animation bar, but after that it just went black and there was no signal being sent to the monitor.  Fortunately, I was able to boot the computer in safe mode and use it this way, but I'm still curious as to what I could have done to lose the picture on my laptop and keep the hard drive from booting normally, and whether trying to get it fixed is worth it.  Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bory504

bory504

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

If it works now, I wouldnt bother questioning it lol. Joking aside, only thing I can think of is it could have been a loose connection somewhere after taking the bottom off or dust could have gotten to another part of the computer that affected another connection. Similar to reseating RAM on a computer that isnt posting. Also, there is usually a function + Fkey option that allows you to toggle between internal and external displays that may have been pressed or needed to be pressed to switch. Also, im not sure why you would have needed to take the bottom off in order to dust it out, most dust would be in the CPU fan/grill area. Not too much dust will get into any other areas, maybe the keyboard depending on the model. As far as getting it fixed, I wouldnt sink any money into a 2006 machine, maybe if you do your own repairs and can get the parts cheap, but something that old really isnt worth it.

Sincerely, Blake.

7 year Computer Hardware + Software Technician.

Operations Technician at a retail company.

Rhythm guitarist for the band Headspill.

:guitar: 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

I agree with Bory about not sinking an excess of money in a seven year old laptop, but I think it might be worth your while taking the back off again - carefully ! - and looking for a ribbon cable that may have come disconnected during your previous repair.

You mention 'cracks around one of the hinges'. Unhappily this is the area where the cable from the motherboard to the screen route, around the hinges. It is at least possible that a cable connector got damaged in its earlier 'rough life' and your removing the cover finished off the job.

One saving grace out of all this is that by using an external monitor and safe mode you can get this laptop to run. I would strongly recommend that you use this method to back up all the data on this laptop before you do anything else. If worst comes to the worst, and you kill this computer in the process of trying to fix it, at least you will still have the data that is on it. And your data is the valuable stuff.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users